Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Migrating to a new hard drive

Been thinking about getting a bigger hard drive, and I came across an article on how to migrate your complete OS, apps, data over to the new drive easily without having to reformat and reinstall everything from scratch.

There are professional products such as Norton Ghost and Acronis TrueImage that do hard disk imaging, but I didn't know that Seagate has a rebranded version of TrueImage that you can download for free.
http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support...discwizard

I read this article on it, and they highly recommend it. The author had a few hiccups, only because he was using an old version - the key is to download the latest software directly from their website.
http://grandstreamdreams.blogspot.com/20...x-act.html

Have you had any hard drive migration experiences in the past? Any other tips to share? I must admit, I have always tended to start from scratch with the new drive, and just mount the old drive as a secondary to copy any important data over.

I use Superduper for my back-up/trsansfer stuff. But if you ever get tempted into that new iMac the transfer of data within the OS X system is very simple.

Canon stuff.

I have used Ghost before - it works just fine. There is a problem with XP though which expects a consistent hardware environment - i.e. same CPU, graphics card, etc.

Toad Wrote:There is a problem with XP though which expects a consistent hardware environment - i.e. same CPU, graphics card, etc.
I heard about that - like if you're just moving to a new hard drive on the same system, you'll probably be fine. However, if you're moving all your data, OS, etc. to a new system, some MS apps (Office) won't work.

If you move all your stuff from one drive to another, how do you get rid of any bugs/viruses etc. you may have.
Won't they just go from the old drive to the new one?
Whereas re-loading everything gives you a clean set-up to start with.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Korry
Aug 27, 2013, 07:48