Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Mike Johnston on Choosing a Point and Shoot

Here's an article written by Mike Johnston, posted on his web blog "The Online Photographer". warning: it may be offensive for both language and content. http://theonlinephotographer.blogspot.co...shoot.html

I'll skip to the conclusion:

Mike Johnston Wrote:Finally, you're going to be frustrated. Why? Because digital point-and-shoots are lousy cameras. So don't worry about the fact that your camera is often fiddley to use, only semi-capable in some circumstances and near-incompetent in others, and that it completely defeats your intentions from time to time. If you allow this to trouble you, again, you will be wasting worry on the inevitable. Better to chalk it up to death, taxes, and digicams. Don't think for two seconds that because your camera is lousy, it means you should have bought a different lousy camera—because any other point-and-shoot would frustrate you too. Don't think that if you had just gotten a Brand Y instead of a Brand Z your pictures would look better. They probably wouldn't. And even if they would look just a little better in some ways and in some situations, they'd look just a little worse in others.
I'll weasel out of providing much of my own comment by saying that I absolutely agree with most of what he says, but with the caveat that often it doesn't matter. When I use my little Oly 770SW, it's doing a job that none of my other cameras can. No, it's not natural, intuitive, or even sensible most of the time. But what should I expect from a camera that comes with a built-in alarm clock? It even happens to be a handy feature.

I know there are a couple of photographers here who do some really good work with P&S cameras, but most people here do use DSLRs. Is Mike Johnston off-base, correct, or just looking for a reaction?

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

My wife loves her Olympus 760 too Matthew, great camera providing you don't expect too much from it.

I like my fuji, but its broken. It fits in my shirt pocket easily, and takes good macro's and better than average snapshots. (If you put your mind to it.) I have never used the easy option modes.
I think he's winding you up.
How many of you drive a Ferrari or Lotus?

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by EdMak
Jun 29, 2019, 09:16