Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Minimalism

This was the very first picture I took in the industrial area the other day… I found it perfect… then I thought I was crazy… but somehow I liked and I didn’t delete it… Just by chance, I found a group in flickr working on this art movement , and I got interested… and I read that it is also called reductionism.

I read a little more and I learnt that Minimalism is an art movement and reductionism is a physical theory… I think both “corrientes”, tendencies are different but still I can’t understand it well…

What do you think about this? How do you find this art movement, interesting? boring? Have you tried something like this?

[Image: DSC_0058-01reel.jpg]

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

I have tried it. This is an abstract piece. Everything depends on where you place the figure and the form of the lines. Yours is interesting. I like that it is not black and white and not pure shadow.

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

I find it lacking in detail. A close look at the pulley might give more detail. It is kind of dark.

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

Thanks Don Smile

I have read as well that it is frequently criticized because it is considered too intellectual, cold and unemotional. I personally don't think so...

I have found under Minimalism the name of some painters like Agnes Martin and Robert Ryman and some sculptures like Donald Judd and James Turrell, but I haven't found anything about photographers...

Paul Cezanne

Colin, I read in one of the definitions of Minimalism that this movement emphasizes extreme simplification of form and color.

On the other hand, I have seen some paintings of Agnes Martin and they are full of detail and color... Now I really don't know what to think...

Paul Cezanne

Ok. I suppose your image might fall into this category. It isn't something I'm too familiar with. I spent 10 minutes on your image and came up with something that may still fit the category. I think the framing might push it beyond the definition of minimalism but I find it a little more interesting. Even without the framing.

[Image: 56_DSC_0058-01reel.jpg]

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

You are right! The detail makes is more interesting... and still it is the basic element of the machine... Thanks, I like it Smile

Paul Cezanne

Irma Wrote:What do you think about this? How do you find this art movement, interesting? boring? Have you tried something like this?

It looks like a tough style. A landscape might have poor composition but have an appealing subject or basic prettiness. A portrait may be poorly lit but still be evocative. A minimalist composition that's flawed will have nothing else in it.

I've been trying to move toward having less visual clutter and more geometric structure to my images, so I can sympathize with trying to take photos of very little subject. Simplicity can be very difficult. i think that a minimalist photograph needs to be an occasional accomplishment instead of a daily objective.

For this image in particular, I don't think there's enough tonal separation between the wire and pulley and the sky behind it. I agree with Petographer that I'd like to see more detail in the pulley: it's the only subject, so it needs to be fascinating. But, I'm not a fan of his treatment. The framing and defocus adds to the visual complexity of the image, when I'd like to see it go in the opposite direction. Maybe the same detail crop, with a large expanse of a smooth sky? I'm thinking more of digital art, not straight photography...

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

You are right Matt, I think it is a very difficult style... The photographer needs to know very well what to show and how to do it, in order to deliver his/her message... and also I think the viewer need some knowledge about the style... I found some picture and I admit some of them I didn't understand well... I mean... They look great!! yes but after you see them you say... and? Maybe one need to start step by step finding meanings...

I just read some thoughts of a flickr member MrPixel about this...

""
<snip>
I do, however, make the distinction between minimalism and what I call "reductionism". I consider a photo with few elements that are still concrete and unambiguous to be reductionist, while photos whose elements are abstracted into unrecognizability fall under minimalism. One facet of this distinction is the fact that reductionist photos can still say something, while minimalist photos say only "I am what I am".
<snip>
""
It is nice to learn about different styles like minimalism and maybe give it a try...

Thanks a lot for your comments, so nice to talk with you all about this... Smile

Paul Cezanne