Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Mistakes made by new users of SLR cameras

Well, I have sold my 50mm 1.8 11 & my 85mm 1.8 lenses, bought these same time as I bought my 400D. Hated the 50mm and realised the 85mm was too long for me. I like taking photographs wide and up close. Has anyone else made the same mistake? Luckily got back what I paid for the 85mm but I paid too much for the 50mm so am out of pocket. Left with the beloved 17-40mm, EF-60mm macro and am thinking would like the light and short prime 24/28mm.

Cheers,
Pat
Canon 400D plus assorted lenses

When I bought my first DSLR I made two mistakes.

1) Bought the 300 4.0 L IS Canon lens
2) Bought the Sigma 70-200 2.8 lens

I have ended up selling both of them and buying the lens I now have - the Canon 70-200 2.8 L IS. What I should have done is bought the Canon 70-200 2.8 L IS lens straight out as it is what is needed for the wedding work.

But I thought I needed a longer lens than the 200 and so I compromised on the 70-200 and bought the Sigma so that I could afford the 300. Hardly ever used the 300 - but used the 70-200 all the time. Needed the IS on the Canon mount of that lens.

The mistake probably cost me about $300 Australian Sad

Canon stuff.

Haven't bought a lens yet that I considered a mistake, I love my 50mm F1.8, Used my 70-300 a lot, used to hardly be off the camera. Since buying the Sigma 2.8 24-70 that is now on my camera almost all the time.

Love the Sigma 50-500 too, though it is a little bulky.

My only mistake has been not to have bought my 85 f1.2 last november when it was 300 eruo cheaper than it is today... Sad I just knew about this few days ago. Now, I can see that purchase nearly impossible... Sad let's see....

The rest of my lenses are ok for my kind of photography.

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

I haven't made too many mistakes, thankfully. The only one I can think of are the Sigma 70-210 that I bought when I was still shooting film - I hardly used that one...

More recently I picked up a 28mm f/2.8 for my D50, but I hardly use that as well, preferring my 18-70 instead. Maybe I need to give it more of a shot... Big Grin

(Mar 20, 2007, 21:15)Pat Wrote:  Well, I have sold my 50mm 1.8 11 & my 85mm 1.8 lenses, bought these same time as I bought my 400D. Hated the 50mm and realised the 85mm was too long for me. I like taking photographs wide and up close. Has anyone else made the same mistake? Luckily got back what I paid for the 85mm but I paid too much for the 50mm so am out of pocket. Left with the beloved 17-40mm, EF-60mm macro and am thinking would like the light and short prime 24/28mm.

What is it you hated about the 50mm?

@dale: this thread is 7 years old, I wouldn't hold my breath for a reply. Smile

If I were to guess, though, it'd be the inability to shoot indoors - with the 50mm prime you barely fit everybody into a picture.

(May 21, 2014, 01:19)kNox Wrote:  @dale: this thread is 7 years old, I wouldn't hold my breath for a reply. Smile

It is a mistake that's easy to make. Perhaps it happens because the date is right at the bottom of each post. If the date was at the top, in bold next to the Post: #, it might be more likely to be noticed?

Cheers.
Philip

The date is actually at the very top of the post, just like many other forums on the internet. Smile

I have the Internet Explorer, Firefox, and Opera web browsers installed on my PC. Having just checked the first two, I see that they do put the date at the top of each post. However, I usually use Opera, which puts the date at the bottom, so I will just have to be extra careful in future! Confused

Cheers.
Philip

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post