Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tripod Shopping

I think I am going to bite the bullet and buy a tripod. I already feel like a luggage cart when I show up at a shoot, so why not... Smile

I am wondering if expensive tripods are worth it. I want to stay under $100. I'm 5'0" and thinking one as tall as me would work. Target and Walmart both have them in my price range.

What should I consider when choosing? Other than heighth. And does what it is made out of really matter?

Thanks!

For a little more money, you can get a Manfrotto 294 with a quick release ball head, or the Oben AC-1410 also with a head. They're low-end, but probably better quality than what you'll find for less at mass retail stores.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/68...pod_w.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/74...ripod.html

Those are both rated for 11lbs, which should be enough for a smaller DSLR and lenses in non-extreme shooting environments.

For a smaller bodied mirrorless or point-and-shoot camera, this Slik might be okay:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/61...II_GM.html

Yes, materials matter. For weight, stability, how extraordinarily cold they feel on a bitter winter's day ... Smile

Suggestion: buy used. Many camera shops even stock used gear.

Agreed with Slej. You are far better off buying a better tripod used than a cheap one new. Materials and weight really do matter. A tripod may be completely able to hold up your camera body and long lens in ideal situations, but add a bit of wind and... Even if you don't own a large telephoto lens right now, you don't want to have to re-buy your tripod if you buy one in the future. Always get the best gear you can afford and don't be afraid to buy used.

2 tripod features that I like a lot:

1. Quick release plate(s). A tripod becomes hugely faster to setup and use if you can just snap your camera onto it in seconds rather than having to screw it onto the tripod head each and every time. I bought 2 quick releases - one that I leave attached to the bottom plate of my camera body, and one that I leave permanently fastened to the tripod leg of my largest telephoto lens.

2. Tripod Sling. A tripod is a pain in the butt to carry around. Much, much more convenient if you can just sling it over your back (like a quiver of arrows).

/toad

Have to echo Toad and Slej, quick release plate are the way to go, I have 5. And a sling or tripod bag is essential.

I'd stay well away from target and walmart tripods, they may say 11 pounds but they aren't stable with near that wieght on them.

Wait a little longer and pay a little more, manfrotto are the best for a reason. Mine holds over 20lbs as steady as a rock, and in wind I hand my camera bag from the bottom of the center post to keep it steady.

I don't have much to add, except that the inexpensive tripod that I bought from the store in the mall when I first started out is my oldest remaining piece of photographic equipment, and it has its place. That place happens to be the back of a closet, because I've tried to give it away several times and nobody has wanted it.

I hardly ever used it, but one of those times I ended up dropping it – folded, without the camera – and broke one of the plastic pivots on the leg spreaders. I fixed it with a zip tie.

Tripods are forever – for better or for worse. Assuming you'll use whatever you eventually buy, it does make sense to get a good one.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

I have a low-end Velbon tripod. It's not more than $50, I think, but it's perfect for what I want from a tripod - not only does it hold my camera + tele lens incredibly steady, I've positioned it pretty much everywhere (including a really quick stream) and it didn't even flinch. And I admit I haven't even taken care of it properly. If this one ever breaks, they've got me as a client for the next one for sure.

I have a Canon Rebel but I would CRY if it fell over. I guess I didn't think of that. And yes, while I am having a hard time forking over the cash for one, because to me they seem expensive, I guess I will only have to buy it once and it will last forever... I'm glad I asked, because I really wasn't looking at the bigger picture. THANK YOU!

Honestly if you aren't opposed to getting a used one I'd go on craigslist and see what's there. You can get a really nice like-new high quality tripod for a lot less than you'd pay new plus it retains it's value unlike the wal-mart brand.

I've bought used gear for years and it's helped stretch my budget.

I have a lightweight manfrotto and it has a quick release plate with it. It came with a bag and strap. Folds down to about 18".

I take it if I am doing something that needs it. Otherwise I stick the camera on a wall or against a lamp post etc.

Edit - Upset someone once. Blush

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Hi, Ask yourself how much is my camera and lens worth? Once you have done that ask yourself if buying a "cheap" tripod is really what you want to do. I am always amazed at folks that have a $2000.00 set up and want to trust its safety to a $50. tripod. If replacing your camera is not an issue buy a cheap tripod, but if it's a concern get a good one that will safely support your gear. Have fun and keep shootin'. Mike

(Dec 17, 2012, 15:15)olcoach Wrote:  Hi, Ask yourself how much is my camera and lens worth? Once you have done that ask yourself if buying a "cheap" tripod is really what you want to do. I am always amazed at folks that have a $2000.00 set up and want to trust its safety to a $50. tripod. If replacing your camera is not an issue buy a cheap tripod, but if it's a concern get a good one that will safely support your gear. Have fun and keep shootin'. Mike

By the way! Welcome to the forums! Glad to have you here!

Barbara - Life is what you make of it!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post