Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Mostly Dead Tree: Revisited

Due to criticisms on another forum and the fine fast clouds tonight, I reshot the tree from my previous post in a way that cuts out any green foliage.
(I think they didn't read the story, as I made it clear that the new foliage made me happy for the tree which is why I included it in the first place.)

Anyone prefer this version?
Someone at the Texas Photo Forum said it gave them motion-sickness, which I take as a compliment since it's hard to provoke such a physical reaction in a non-photojournalism photo.
I used a handheld flash unit to bring out some detail in the tree this time.

[Image: kak.treenight2.jpg]

I like the picture..I never saw the first one though.

The original is here: http://www.shuttertalk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=6668

I didn't reply to this right away, and always meant to.... I wanted to say that the treatment of the subject is so different that it's really impossible to compare the two. I'm not sure that a casual viewer would even recognize that it's the same tree.

The first one is a nice nature story, and an interesting and well done photo. The second is far more abstract, and functions better as an "art" photo. I might have to admit that I prefer the second image (this thread), but this is simply closer to my own style.

Both images together show the value of returning to a particular subject, and capturing it from different angles and in different light. I have a rotating series of inspirational (read: remedial) sayings on my computer desktop, and one of them is "What's the use of one photo?" Photographs increase in value and impact as the number on a common theme or subject increases. One is a record shot, five is a series, fifty is a book. I hope you keep returning to this tree as it changes.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

I like a lot the effect you have in the clouds... Amazing how the same subject changes in different moments... I think Matthew said it right... The first one is a nature story and this one an art picture... Smile

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

My thanks for the kind words Teri, matthew and Irma!

Was afraid this one wasn't any good after getting no responses here, because I remember being very excited about sharing it at the time.

Art is probably too strong a word, but it's the direction I was trying to go.
More and stronger flash units and I might get closer to my mental image, so expect new versions in the coming months.

your very welcome! but I do have to say its a hard decision to pick out of the two for me..The first one is a very beautiful shot..

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Don Schaeffer
Aug 22, 2020, 18:11
Last Post by webber
Oct 6, 2018, 09:53