Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Movies

When shooting movies on a dsl camera they say shooting time is approximately 29-30 minutes. What happens then?. How do I continue shooting movies?
Ted

Would assume it's tied to something, Battery, specific size Card, do they not elaborate/quantify? Ed.

On my dslr it states its up to the size of the memory card,but I would think one needed a spare battery to do more as well

(Nov 28, 2013, 08:27)Ted Wrote:  When shooting movies on a dsl camera they say shooting time is approximately 29-30 minutes. What happens then?. How do I continue shooting movies?
Ted

Are you going to shoot while movie playing? 29-30 minutes is this the allowed time to record using your Dslr or your Dslr might get burn sensor?

PhotoPlay Photography
What we are is God's gift to us. What we become is our gift to God.
~Eleanor Powell

I believe that the recording limit of 29 mins 59 secs is set for a "stills camera with video capability" to avoid the extra taxes levied on a "video camera". Presumably, when that limit is reached the camera will stop recording, and you will have to press the video start button again (assuming the camera has enough memory), then join the parts in a video editing program on a computer.

Philip

Makes sense. When Camcorders first came out, Sony had Video In capability, could record off the TV, this then classed it as a Video Recorder, removed In capability, different classification, price reduction followed. Ed.

The limit is to do with heat dissipation. When you are shooting stills the sensor cools down between shots but with video it has no chance to. With an amateur dedicated video camera, the sensor is much smaller and so generates much less heat. Professionals rarely shoot more than five minutes at a time.

It says in my 650D manual that "the caamera's internal temperature may cause movie shooting to stop before the maximum recording time". There is a similar warning for using Live View where the sensor is used full time.

You can forget about taxes - manufacturers sell their products in every country in the world and each of those countries has different tax laws. Our UK taxes are very different to USA taxes yet the same camera is sold in both countries.

What I referred to was many years ago, but then, import tax was different on a Video recorder, as opposed to a Player only, hence the price difference, may well be outdated now. Ed.

(Nov 29, 2013, 03:45)John M Wrote:  You can forget about taxes.

The manufacturers might disagree with you - they are in a highly competitive market. The EU has decreed* that a digital camera recording 30 minutes or more of continuous video is a video camera. A digital camera has zero import duty but a video camera has 4.9% import duty. It would be reasonable to assume that any manufacturer might regard the latter as a significant cost increase that would be passed on to the consumer, and would prefer to set the recording time limit to keep the item classified as a zero-rated digital camera, in line with its competitors.

* http://www.cipa.jp/documents/e/071001.pdf

Philip

Makes sense. Ed.

I agree. here in my Country Philippines anything that can video record that is more than 30 minutes can be set to a different taxes (Tariff for customs).

PhotoPlay Photography
What we are is God's gift to us. What we become is our gift to God.
~Eleanor Powell

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by de_axeman
Feb 14, 2005, 01:35