Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

My first picture in canvas...

The place where G buys his painting stuff, has a professional print service... We went yesterday with two of my pictures to print.

I'm still so nervous... Big Grin

They showed us lots of different papers and different canvas. We had no idea what to choose. As it was just to test and see how my pictures looked printed we decided one in canvas and the other one in paper.

The canvas one will be 40 x 50 and already mounted in a wooden frame, looking as if it were a painting... Wink 40 euro plus tax. and the other one in a paper they recommended us to print fine art photographies... that will be 20x30, 20 euro plus tax. both 720 dpi.

I hope it is not a waste of money really... Sad

I was wondering if some of you have printed in canvas and how was the result. What kind of picture do you think look better in canvas and what sort in paper?

Then it comes the thought about and exhibition in a gallery... God! How much money it costs to make an exhibition!!

It will take around three weeks to have my pictures at home ... I will tell you then about how they look... I hope they look fine.... :|

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Edit It said 50euro, but it is 40euro, I checked the note now.

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Sounds nice Irma - I have printed a wedding picture on canvas and it was ok. But I think it would suit landscapes much better. The price sounds pretty good for something that is already mounted.

Canon stuff.

I have wanted to try this too. So far I have been a little put off by the price of the local printers and my concern that the canvas printing will lose the fine details or sharpness of the images.
Let us know of your results.

Canon 50D.
Redbubble

Hi Irma, pity we wont be able to see the results of your photo on canvas. I have just learnt of the various papers on which you can print, one being metallic. At the photographic studio where my classes are being conducted there is a particularly beautiful print of the interior of the cathedral in Newcastle and its been printed on metallic paper, told the teacher I will die happy if I can re-produce that! Big Grin

Cheers,
Pat
Canon 400D plus assorted lenses

I also think that landscpes would look great on canvas, and probably some still life as well.

Shane, the difference between canvas and paper was very little. What also makes a bit expensive canvas is the wooden frame, it was 12euro, already included in the 40 euro (I was worng it isn't 50)

The man explained that the material is not so expensive, what you really pay for is the print itself because of the printer and the ink. You can buy also rolls of canvas, and it becomes cheaper at the end. Of course for people who thinks about printing much..

There are also different sorts of canvas, there are some very smooth and other with more texture, I asked for the one with more texture. The picture I'll have printed is one that has some places sharp, some with a bit of out of focus and bokeh.

Pat, I will post a picture of the printed version for you to see how the picture turns out... Smile

I don't imagine a picture printed in metallic paper but it must look wonderful. I will ask them if they have that service too.

Paul Cezanne

That sounds like a great idea, and not overwhelmingly expensive considering the size. I'm really looking forward to your impression of the results. I know someone who was going to do this, but lost touch with her before it was finished.

Can you post the picture you chose?

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

Metallic paper is really beautiful - well worth getting a few prints done (expensive though).

Canon stuff.

Canvas printing can be very lovely. My advice is to be careful about what images you print on canvas, however. Don't print anything that relies to much on very fine detail, as the texture of the canvas will reduce detail somewhat. I also would not print anything on canvas that has a conflicting material property such as a picture of shining metal or chrome. Pick photos that you think look a bit like paintings - and you should be good.

I have done a few cancas prints and find it works best with landscapes and even portraits.

A fellow from my camera club has a lot of work done on canvas but he processes the prints first to look like oils or water colors.

Matt, I am a little ashamed to show the picture I chose. It is so simple but it is one of the ones I like the most. I don't know if this theme about leaves will have any future, but this is something I really like a lot...

Toad, I thought about working some still life with flowers and fruit, bread and wine, something as you said that look like a painting. But I don't know where it will be a good idea, there are already so many out there, and real paintings....

Thanks so much for your comments and advice ... Smile

Here is the one that will be on canvas....

[Image: 76_IMG_8437-01.jpg]

Paul Cezanne

I think that shot will probably look very nice on canvas.

I think it would look pretty good on metalic paper Smile

Cheers,
Pat
Canon 400D plus assorted lenses

Irma, that's a lovely picture, and I'm sure it will look beautiful. The soft colours will be very pleasing, and simple is always good.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

Beautiful image and I am sure the canvas will suit it.

Canon stuff.

Thanks... Smile

I am happy and more comfident about the result since you all think it will look nice in canvas... Smile

I am looking already for the service to print in metallic paper... This is a great idea!!

Paul Cezanne

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post