Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

My first posting of Images

Hi, I've not posted any photos yet as I have only been a member for a few days. Anyhow you may like to see some of my efforts over the last few/several years.

Picture 1 was originally taken on an Agfa Silette Vario about 50 years ago - taken on Agfa CT18 colour reversal film, then transferred to digital circa 2005 using a Nikon E5770.

Picture 2 is of my local preservation railway the Bluebell Line, Taken on Canon 50D

Picture 3 also same location same camera.

I have recently purchased a Canon 70D and am trying to get my head around its many features. The Charlotte Lowrie book has helped, maybe any 70D owners have some comments?

Don't expect critique re: the 50 year old image - but I can take it on chin re: the other two.

When reviewing this post before sending I noticed that the attachments are shown as 'No Entry Signs' at the bottom of the post, therefore they might not actually be attached.

Barry (Banjo Boy)

Attached Files Image(s)

Love the third one! Sign, flowers, train, everything looks like it's coming from some nice children story.

Barry,

The strong lighting in #2 has produced very bright and very dark areas which, of course, might appeal to you. It is also not very sharp. If it were mine, I would try to moderate it and, in the processing, try to bring more details out of the highlights and shadows, e.g.

Philip

(Jan 22, 2014, 17:04)MrB Wrote:  Barry,

The strong lighting in #2 has produced very bright and very dark areas which, of course, might appeal to you. It is also not very sharp. If it were mine, I would try to moderate it and, in the processing, try to bring more details out of the highlights and shadows, e.g.

Philip

Hi Philip,
Yes I could not agree more with you regarding the picture of the rusty chains. However the only reason I have not carried out any post-processing is because it was a picture taken 50 years ago on Agfa CT18. I then copied it from slide film to digital in 2005 and filed it to stand as a comparison of today's multi technical camera/processing standards. Your changes to the image certainly do improve the overall look and I might just do the same on my original and keep the two images. Thank you for your valuable comments. Barry

Apologies Barry, but I have been confused by the order of presentation of the images in the web browser - 1st is the loco with tender, 2nd is the chains, and 3rd is the side-tank loco, so I was assuming that your scanned image was the loco with tender. I should have looked at the exif data, which clarifies the apparent confusion.

Cheers.
Philip

The loco with tender is particularly good. Like it a lot.

I like the first one - the steam from the train looks really nice. I can't believe it's fifty years old, it looks like it was taken yesterday. Really awesome!

(Jan 24, 2014, 01:41)kNox Wrote:  I like the first one - the steam from the train looks really nice. I can't believe it's fifty years old, it looks like it was taken yesterday. Really awesome!

Hi Knox,
I apologise with the descriptions in my post being misaligned to the actual order of images. You are correct, the picture that was taken 50 years ago was of the Stinging Nettles growing through some rusty old chains. The other two were taken in more in recent years. I will give all pictures a name or number reference next time. Many thanks for your comments.
Barry

(Jan 23, 2014, 19:47)Phil J Wrote:  The loco with tender is particularly good. Like it a lot.

Thanks Phil,
Comment much appreciated.
Barry

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Don Schaeffer
Nov 3, 2016, 10:22