Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

My first shots of Large Format 4"x5" Polaroid film

I finally got the chance to test out my Speed Graphic and shoot my first couple of exposures of large format 4"x5" film today! Big Grin

[Image: 431158516_DdKrE-L.jpg]

The bad news is that my "proper" film holders haven't arrived yet, so I haven't had a chance to try out the Velvia 100 or Ilford Delta 100 film I've got waiting...
The other bad news is that I don't have a real light meter yet, so I'm using my 1D MkIII.

But apart from that, it's all good news! My Polaroid back did arrive today, so when I got home I tried out the polaroid film I have (Type 54 b/w and Type 79 colour).

Both the colour and b/w Polaroid film have expired, but not by long. The colour film seems to have a bit of a colour cast, and seemed to underexpose compared to the b/w (I brought it up a bit when I scanned it). But the colour film has that unmistakable polaroid look to the colours which I love. I'm also very impressed with the b/w film which has a character all its own too.

Thankfully everything works brilliantly. I was amazed that even my very first exposure was right on the money! This is the first time I've shot large format, the first time I've used this camera (which is 50 years old), the first time I've shot polaroid sheet film, and probably a heap of other firsts too.

Anyway, here are the first three test shots I've taken:

[Image: 433304796_98aAf-L.jpg]
1. Polaroid Type 54, 127mm, f/8, 1/2 sec, 100 iso

[Image: 433304634_HXTyD-L.jpg]
2. Polaroid Type 79, 127mm, f/4.7, 1/10th sec, 100 iso (scan pushed approx 1 stop)

[Image: 433362835_ZrF7x-L.jpg]
3. Polaroid Type 54, 127mm, f/4.7, 1/5th sec, 100 iso

Edit: I added in EXIF data (well, the manual equivalent).

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

That's pretty cool Big Grin
did you put the borders on (I know NOTHING about film Big Grin)
I have been thinking about trying out film in general sometime.... (when I get around to it Big Grin)

Thanks Mark. Smile
It still amazes me that these images were created without ANY electronics whatsoever. The camera operates via clockwork and mechanical operation and the exposure and development is mechanical and a chemical reaction.

And I didn't add those borders - that's how the polaroid prints come out of thir envelopes when they are developed. The Type 79 film in particular gives a really interesting border (the colour film).
Below is a link to a PDF instruction manual for the Polaroid film holder I use - if you're interested in the polaroid process then it explains it fairly well. The film holder slots into the back of the camera (the PDF file doesn't show the camera, just the film holder).

http://www.polaroid.com/service/userguid...45i_ug.pdf

Adrian Broughton

As a young man I shot a lot of photos with a Speed Graphic. They were/are excellent cameras. You should be able to peal the mottled tan paper edge off the print to leave a clean white border. It is simply there to mask the edge of the print. OTOH if you like the way it looks...

ADK Jim

Thanks Jim. I did (eventually) work that one out Big Grin but I do really like the rough borders, especially on the colour print.

Adrian Broughton

What an interesting set of photos. It really brings me back. What a fantastic camera and hobby you have.

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

The first black and white of the cat is magic.

Canon stuff.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post