Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

My wild experiment with Photoshop masking and compositing

I loaded in several pictures related to a dance placed named "The Shag Shack" were our club dances. This is the South Carolina shag dance. The man featured owns the Shack and is the DJ and teaches dancing. There is a couple that is hard to make out in the center - you can see the man's outline and the woman's face. I took this picture of them at the Shack - they are something like 11 time winners of the national shag dance championships. The Shack has paneled walls and all kinds of pictures on the walls, a lot of which I took. It has all kinds of nostalgic decor, and George is a "Parrothead," so has all kinds of Jimmy Buffett and parrot what nots and signs, and a big Michelob light fixture. I thought the composite with the texture came out interesting. I printed it on Arches plain watercolor paper, running it thru the straight-thru feed path, and it came out good. I would like to know what you think of this picture.

[Image: shack-and-geo.jpg]

Hey interesting work, Claire! I like the treatment and the vibrant colours and shapes. It looks like a lot of effort has gone into it.

If there was one criticism, I could offer, it would be that it is slightly difficult to make out the equipment or the meaning of the image on its own. I'm sure to those familiar with the place, it would be fine, but if I were to see the image without having the introductory text, I would have no idea what it was about.

Just my 2c.. Big Grin

I agree with your comments that probably just people familiar with the place would understand the items in the picture, some of which are somewhat difficult to depict. I did like the colors, and think maybe I could make the woman dancer more visible - she got buried in overlaid images pretty much, except for her face. I was just playing and did like the way some of the words look embossed in the image. There are also christmas lights and other little lights strung all over the DJ booth and around the dance floor, and they show up in the image. Maybe I should have made some of the items more visible, like the image of George.

Very posterlike. These skills can come in handy.

--Don

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post