Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

ND Filters again

I came across this statement in a NG...

"An ND filter is used to reduce the light reaching the film/sensor. With a film camera, it is helpful if your film is rated at too high an ISO for the scene, but with digital, adjusting the ISO of the sensor will do the same thing. "

Accurate? What do you think? I suppose if you're already shoot at ISO50 then you're out of luck... Big Grin

Maybe if we could dial in ISO 25, then this would be a little more true. Look at ISTD users though, 200 ISO is their minimum! :o

Cave canem

I guess its true if you can dial down that low but its not very accurate for a statement considering how most folks use their ND filters. They're great for getting a shallow DOF on a bright day.

I suppose there's the argument regarding sensor noise as well, but I guess if you're decreasing ISO then you're decreasing noise as well, which is usually seen as a good thing?

hahah if ur using a Kodak DCS Pro SLR then the lowest is ISO 7 haha

7???

Really??

Cave canem

yes, though it says 80 here:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Ko...dcs14n.asp
there's a special selection that letsyou select a super low one.
was it 12? i dont know

ive only bought a ND filter once, and that was for my cousin! haheaharhasadsadadasdadaa

The Kodak has a "longer exposure" mode that combines a series of short exposures to create one longer-exposure image, at an effective ISO of 6.

Ironically, that camera is infamous for poor noise handling at higher ISOs.

On topic: I've tried taking slow exposures of moving water on sunny days, and even at f/22, ISO 100, with a polarizer, I couldn't get an exposure longer than 1/4s. A +2 or +4 ND filter would have come in very handy.

well it was 7 or 12 somewhere round there .. i have a bad memory .. but they showed us a photo at the kodak seminar of a photo at low iso .. such high detail even when u magnify in ..

Yeah peter, I recall hearing it as well at the Kodak seminar...

Amazing what they can achieve eh?

yeah ...
my preferance is still canon though ..

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post