Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Naming Conventions

How do you name your files?

My unprocessed files I name by the location I went to that day, and then the exif data time and date of the shot... so for example:-

monterey - 1-5-2005 15-37-10.jpg

I use ACDSee to do this in batches. What do you do?

DSCFxxxx, I use folders

Gear:
3 x GoPro Cameras
1 x Canon S100
1 x Nikon D5100
1 x Sony DSC-TX10
Apple MacBook Pro 15" (Retina Display)

"What do you want to pack today?"

Good question, Craig...

I'm like dewy... I rely on metadata (comments, keywords etc.) to manually categorise my images.

I don't process all my photos, only those I want to show Tongue haha <_>
Then as for naming, I usually leave as the default CRW_XXXX.jpg, or if I'm uploading it somewhere, I'll just name it something that describes it. Otherwise, it'll sit in folders on my computer sorted by date Smile

I use Downloader Pro which creates folders by date in my specified directory, then it batch renames my files by date (or whichever of the many tags I choose.)

So my CRW_1234.CRW gets renamed 1234_25Dec2004.CRW and placed in the 2004-12 folder of my New Images directory.

It also lets me enter a "job code" prior to downloading, so for example I can make the directory "2004-12-Wedding" or something descriptive like that.

Best utility I've got.

My digital stuff is easy because my A2 creates new folders every time the date changes - and I move these date named folders directly to my PC. I leave the original digital images in their camera provided names because I never touch the originals. If I edit or retouch - I save it as a copy.

My film stuff is just a mess - when I scan a slide, it just goes in a folder called "New Stuff". Once the folder is backed up to DVD - I clear New Stuff and move to the files to some other folder name. At least all the scanned images are named by me - so I stand a chance of locating them. It is an extremely poor system - that one day I have to clean up.

I store the originals by name: garden, Kiel, and so on.. In my garden folder I have subfolder garden1, garden2 ... From there I copy the one I want to play with and store it as pspimage in my folder called "jpgs" as I stored as pspimage I can come back and make some retouch if I were advised to do so... When I finished with my post-processing I store it again in another folder called "forum"... In this folder is already a .jpg and it is resized and compressed...

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

I give them names. The download puts them in date labelled folders on my zip drive. I only name the photos I find useful, the rest I discard to save space. After I fill my zip drive I transfer to a CD and make a slide show Video CD. All I have are jpegs. That's what my camera makes.

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

Don Schaeffer Wrote:I only name the photos I find useful, the rest I discard to save space..

Funnily enough, I never delete... I'm afraid I'll delete something which I might potentially need later on. Smile

I agree - I often rummage about in my junk photo pile looking for small details of a scene that I may have overlooked.