Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Natural light or flash?

Hi everyone,
I remember when i got into photography i was so eager to learn the composition and all the lighting techniques out there.I started watching tutorials,see what the trends were.Shooting flash with modfiers on location was trending and clients seemed to go for it.So I began introducing that into my photography.Nowadays, speedlights are getting cheaper and cheaper, strobes have power packs now and can be brought on location and i feel like a lot of photographers starts to overuse it.
 I shoot a lot outdoor and lately i find myself trying to avoid the flash, working al light as possible,not wanting anymore to care what's my strobe power,no high-speed sync, no modifiers.I just carry one 30" reflector, now i care more about the story,about keeping things natural and organic.I still use flash for commercial stuff and events where it is necessary because of unpredictable light.
My question is, what you guys shoot most? Natural or Flash?

The use of flash lighting is not something that is used on a whim, it is used when required to achieve the desired lighting of the subject and requires learned skills. I don't think the term "trending" applies.

GrahamS
Take my advice.  I'm not using it.Wink

I always shoot with external flash, unless there is no time to set it up (running around shooting reportage)
I love playing with the directions of the flash, modifiers, gels and colourtemperatures. For me it feels external flashes give you an extra ability to make the pictures you shoot your own style. As there are so many photographers nowadays, using flashes is a next level tool to make your pictures stand out.

Most of what I shoot is nature or landscape so no flash, or very rarely.

When I am shooting for websites, ads etc I do use flash most of the time, though I strive to make it look natural.

I only use the on board, with a diffuser at times, no idea what a modifier/gel/colourtempuratures is. Do know, and have used, not digital, a Kelvin meter very many times though! Ed.

To each his own!

Here is an example of both situations.Of course these photos were edited but you can feel the light fall of natural lighting.Both look good.The photo on the left was shot 2 years ago, the one on the right was shot 1 month ago

Do you have a comparison, one of these without flash. Ed.

To each his own!

(Apr 28, 2017, 04:59)EdMak Wrote:  Do you have a comparison, one of these without flash.  Ed.

The picture on the right side has no flash, just a white fabric reflector to bounce some sun light back on the subject's face

I use flash if that will give me the results I want for a particular shot.

In general if the shutter speed would be too slow with natural light or the natural lighting is not suitable I will use flash or studio lighting (sometimes all that is required is a bit of fill). Sometimes this is to freeze the image (I do not normally like blurry images) or to add additional lighting if required. If fast motion is involved sometimes flash is the only suitable option.

In my opinion use the lighting that will give you the results you require.

You can view a few of my images including some actions shots at

http://www.art-seekers.com

(Apr 28, 2017, 04:52)RobertMurariu Wrote:  Here is an example of both situations.Of course these photos were edited but you can feel the light fall of natural lighting.Both look good.The photo on the left was shot 2 years ago, the one on the right was shot 1 month ago

That's a good example of better understanding.

(Apr 28, 2017, 04:52)RobertMurariu Wrote:  Here is an example of both situations.Of course these photos were edited but you can feel the light fall of natural lighting.Both look good.The photo on the left was shot 2 years ago, the one on the right was shot 1 month ago

Hi, The image on the left using the flash indicates a shutter speed of 1/2000 of a second. Is this right? Very high for a sync speed or were you using a high speed sync?

You can view a few of my images including some actions shots at

http://www.art-seekers.com

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by delb0y
Sep 4, 2016, 14:17
Last Post by snaphappy
Apr 4, 2016, 11:09