Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Printing

How many folks print their images?
How many print A3 or bigger?

I'm curious to know who uses online labs, and who uses printers at home / office.

If your a personal printer printer, what is your favouraite machine and paper?

I personally use the Lambda, or type "C" process, but some say it's an unnecessarry cost these days, with inkjet being so good......... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_C_print

Your thoughts please?

I print most of my stuff up to A3 myself on a Canon i9900, using Canon inks and usually ilford papers.

If I want to go larger I used a couple of different online services.

Thank you forr answering, Craig.

How much do you find an A3 costs when printed on the Canon?
Are the images up to close scrutiny? (I'm guessing that they must be).
I'm paying £20 approx per A3 Lambda mounted on 200mic board. I'd think that's about $35

Ink and Paper come out to around $6 as close as i can calculate. I mount and matt all my images myself at a cost of around $6 per image. So roughly a savings of 66% on your $35.00.

The images withstand scrutiny, I compete in photographic competitions twice monthly so they get a lot of judging.

That's amazing, Craig!

66% !

I thought they must be very good from your position here.
Please tell me about the printer!

The printer is obsolete now, the replacement is the PIXMA Pro9000 Mark II, same 13*19 capability, but uses Dye rather than pigment based inks that are supposed to produce stronger color and are more fade resistant. http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs/sto..._212754_-1

That said, I have had a print on the wall where it gets a lot of light falling on it for over 4 years and it still looks good.

I see.... And it makes me wonder............

I have been using the printer that Craig uses in my business up until about a month ago when it finally started to wear out after 4 years and thousands of prints. It is an exceptional printer. I replaced it with the new Pro 9500 II. This is a fantastic printer as well.

I recently also purchased a Canon IPF 6100 24 inch printer which takes rolls. It is about 60% cheaper to run then the Pro 9500 in paper costs and 50% cheaper in ink costs. An A3 print costs me around $2-3 Australian now and the quality is superb.

Canon stuff.

........................An A3 print costs me around $2-3 Australian now and the quality is superb.

That is most impressive. Perhaps Lambda is overkill. Do you think so?
I could save a fortune without it1

Cremetti Wrote:........................An A3 print costs me around $2-3 Australian now and the quality is superb.

That is most impressive. Perhaps Lambda is overkill. Do you think so?
I could save a fortune without it1
Definitely it is over kill. But remember the printer I purchased is expensive. So if you are not making money form your prints it is probably better to go with something like the smaller one that only prints sheet paper - the print will cost you around $6-7 AU, but the printer is more reasonable in cost to buy.

The IPF 6100 cost around $4300 AU with the $2000 cash back from Canon taken into account. The Pro 9500 II is about $1100 AU here or it's cheaper brother around $900 AU.

Canon stuff.

I'm possibly misunderstanding this. Having looked these printers up, I find that the Canon 9500 mk 2 is about £550, and classed as a desktop printer. I've seen the IPF, but not realised what it was. We have one at work.

Now I'm at quite at loss to know what do do, as Lambda is quite different to both of these. Maybe I'll stay with it.

Yes, they are desktop printers, however they produce very high quality prints for a fraction of the price. The IPF 6100 is more of a professional level product, though it is still not a huge machine that the Lamda's require.

This is hard, Craig.

I have to imagine the clients perspective and my own.
Then I like to be able to say the printing is somehow "special," which Lambda is.
I dont like the Giclee thing......... Too many people are misusing the term, and promoting a make-believe product.
Others are using it to great effect in a professional way. Unfortunately, it clouds the techniques value to the consumer, in some cases.
Off-setting these considerations against costs though, is quite another matter.

Cremetti - I have been selling prints and making these albums from my own home for 6 years with never one complaint.

Canon stuff.

Wedding Shooter Wrote:Cremetti - I have been selling prints and making these albums from my own home for 6 years with never one complaint.
Please dont misunderstand. I'm sure that those who know how, do......

It's just that I've been bombarded locally with Giclee this, and Giclee that, and it's all a bit passe.
So, I looked for something else, and found C type.
That doesnt mean I think Giclee / inkjet is bad. Especially now I've heard from you folks. No, it means I wanted something different, in an attempt to lure in the curious.
Unfortunately, it comes at a massive cost.

No misunderstanding - just making it clear that I am actually doing it myself - not going to a lab as I think you are referring to.

I guess it all depends on the way you sell your prints, etc... to your clients.

Cheers,

Chris

Canon stuff.

Chris, is photography your sole means of earning a living?

No - but it will bring in about $100,000 AU gross this coming year. So it is a significant part of my income.

Canon stuff.

Wedding Shooter Wrote:No - but it will bring in about $100,000 AU gross this coming year. So it is a significant part of my income.
Well, that's not too bad then, is it?

It has taken 5 years to build it to that. But it is almost enough to give up my other job now.

Canon stuff.

I'm curious Chris: How often do you find yourself shooting more than one wedding in a day, if ever?

Never - unless I have another shooter covering the other wedding. I quite often do two in a weekend though.

Canon stuff.

Wedding Shooter Wrote:It has taken 5 years to build it to that. But it is almost enough to give up my other job now.
Awesome... glad it's going well for you, Chris! Big Grin

I rely most of the time with professional service just like from Vistaprint. I am real picky on quality and I just rely on the pros to do it. Wink They also have Vistaprint deals going around and I love how much they permit you to save and still get great quality of works as well.

I print through my uni, both digital and traditional prints.

Sony A700/ 16-80mm / 70-300mm / 11-18 mm / 100mm macro

My Flickr page

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Robert
Oct 8, 2014, 13:06