Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

New PC

With my current machine rapidly approaching it's sixth!! Birthday I have finally ordered a new PC Big Grin

Ended up going with an Intel. Thought hard about an Athlon but I've always owned Intel chips and couldn't break away from them.

Getting a Pentium D 940 dual core Processor. 3.2Ghz with 800 FSB.
1Gb of Ram and 2 160 Gb HDD's.
I'll also have my first DVD writer.

Congrats!

Sounds like a pretty neat system, only thing i would change is the pc part Tongue

/Paul L.

Strives to make photos instead of taking them...

Congrats on the new system EB..........

twin 160 gb hdd's Big Grin that should keep you going for a while.

Great Bob - you will be amazed by the difference in your new systemSmile

Paul - I'm with you on that.

Canon stuff.

Cool! Sounds pretty sweet! How are you going to set up your storage? Mirrored disks? Hehe... or one for a scratch disk? Big Grin

I would be very careful, scratching a disk might cause damage... just a word of advice.

Big Grin

/Paul L.

Strives to make photos instead of taking them...

The main one will have mu operating system and "permanent" programs on it, the second drive will be images and games as well as any demo stuff I try out. Images will be burnt to DVD for backup... instead of the current box load of CD's it takes.

I tried mirroring a disc but it just kept complaining the jacket made it's bum look fat and primping it's hair. Big Grin

Good one CraigBig Grin

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

Lol... all a bunch of comedians aren't we? Big Grin

I like your scheme - I partitioned my hard drive in a similar manner - windows and programs on one, my documents + data on the other. Although the first one remains fairly static and doesn't grow much above 15G...

The thought has crossed my mind lately on the new pc issue too. But if I can't get one yet it might as well be you Craig.Big Grin Good on ya. I think mine is hovering over the 6 year mark too.

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

My current computer is actually out of a trashpile.. Someone had it in their trash, so we picked it up (a year or two ago), fixed it up, and it's still running. I didn't do much to the internals except the cd-rom drive and got a 200GB hard drive. It still runs pretty decent, even for an old Compaq.

If you can one of the best options is building your own box, but buying a pre-built one works better for some people. Wink

Congrats on the new computer, hope you enjoy it!

Hey noonespillow ... welcome to Shuttertalk! I still have a PC which I built about 5 years ago... still runs fine! Although these days I mainly use my laptop.. Big Grin

noonespillow Wrote:My current computer is actually out of a trashpile.. Someone had it in their trash, so we picked it up (a year or two ago), fixed it up, and it's still running. I didn't do much to the internals except the cd-rom drive and got a 200GB hard drive. It still runs pretty decent, even for an old Compaq.

If you can one of the best options is building your own box, but buying a pre-built one works better for some people. Wink

Congrats on the new computer, hope you enjoy it!
Welcome to the board.Smile Thats the best price anyone can expect to pay. After a couple years too. Awesome! Whenever I see discarded pc's I always take a quick look inside. You never know what's in there.Smile

My flickr images

In the past I've alwayts built my own machines, but at the moment my lack of spare time and the hefty discount Dell gives Honda Employees resulted in me going for a Dell. Welcome to Shuttertalk.

Thanks everyone for the welcome. I decided to skip the welcome thread and hit the actual dicussions. Hope that isn't a problem. Smile

shuttertalk Wrote:Hey noonespillow ... welcome to Shuttertalk! I still have a PC which I built about 5 years ago... still runs fine! Although these days I mainly use my laptop.. Big Grin
I've been thinking about getting a laptop recently, but decided on getting the Canon EOS 350 instead. Haha. Built PCs seems to work better for some reason then the package deals, I guess it's that extra touch of love.

noonespillow Wrote:Thanks everyone for the welcome. I decided to skip the welcome thread and hit the actual dicussions. Hope that isn't a problem. Smile
Not a problem at all!

noonespillow Wrote:Built PCs seems to work better for some reason then the package deals, I guess it's that extra touch of love.
Yeah, probably because it's got all the parts that you want in it... and the touch of love too. Big Grin

hey Craig,

A Dell, yummie!! And, if you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay?

I've heard from a friend, that AMD chips run faster with DDRAM than Intel with DDRAM2, which would convince me to buy an Athlon. but so far it's only a rumor, that I haven't confirmed in any way.

uli

Paid under $900 delivered and tax included.

And Yes, I have read good things about the Athlons... but just can't break my habit of using Intel.

Got my new machine and it flies, just need to install all my crap now! 320 Gb takes some filling Big Grin

Tell me if you come up with any good systems...my photos are in 1 large folder - I know I have to fix that - but haven't done it yet.

Building your own is good to get what you want but for cost effectiveness it isn't. PC's are so cheap now it isn't funny. Dell is supposed to have an excellent warranty but aren't components proprietary? Maybe on some cheaper models?

My flickr images

Paul.R.Lindqvist Wrote:Congrats!

Sounds like a pretty neat system, only thing i would change is the pc part Tongue

/Paul L.
Thats what a mate said but found his MAC was not so good when he realised that his not so "Superdrive" would not handle the 185Mb mini CD I handed him with our presentation that we had to give as part of a Diploma of Business we were doing. :-(

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm
not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein

Petographer Wrote:Building your own is good to get what you want but for cost effectiveness it isn't. PC's are so cheap now it isn't funny. Dell is supposed to have an excellent warranty but aren't components proprietary? Maybe on some cheaper models?
Agree that the Dells are pretty good machines for many but the problem is that you have to use their cases and it is then hard to put three or four drives and a couple of DVD burners in there.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm
not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein

I can't believe how much LCDs have dropped in price too! You used to have to drop half a paycheck to get a 19" LCD - these days they're practically giving them away with their systems...

now how can i build my own powermac? i never have heard a person saying...oooh i built a G5 with this and that...why? anyone knows?

I recently dismantle an imac, (old, purple one) and there is not much to it.