Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Need tips and advices on low light photography

I am shooting at nightclub. I recently started and I am having difficult time getting correct exposure.
My challenge is obviously lights.

Image I want to take every time I shoot someone is enough light on object and in background, but my images are often darker. I use Canon Rebel XSi with stock lens and Speedlite 430EX II. I use f3.5 with 0"6 or f4 with 0"8. I adjust shutter speed based on lighting, but sometimes people in my picture gets blur in color of lighting. I wanna know what other setting I can used to avoid having blur but let maximum amount of light in so images are not dark.

kira Wrote:I am shooting at nightclub. I recently started and I am having difficult time getting correct exposure.
My challenge is obviously lights.

Image I want to take every time I shoot someone is enough light on object and in background, but my images are often darker. I use Canon Rebel XSi with stock lens and Speedlite 430EX II. I use f3.5 with 0"6 or f4 with 0"8. I adjust shutter speed based on lighting, but sometimes people in my picture gets blur in color of lighting. I wanna know what other setting I can used to avoid having blur but let maximum amount of light in so images are not dark.
I can't help too much, but the kit lens (18-55 ) fstop, is f3.5 with the wide angle. when you zoom to 55 then it stops down to (I think) f5.6 so your metering/flash settings will obviously alter.
Not having used a speedlite, then I don't know if it compensates automatically.
Check that the E/V compensation is not on a minus figure also.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

What you want to do to alleviate this is to bite the bullet and bump your ISO up. To prevent the background lighting from smearing over your subjects you'll need a shutter speed ideally of around 1/30s or higher from my previous experience. You can go lower if your hand is steady and the people you're shooting aren't moving too much.

I'd usually be shooting at something like f4 1/30-60 at ISO 3200. For your camera you might want to stick to ISO 1600, though that would limit your ambient lighting.

The thing about strobing with an external flash is that you'll generally find that if you expose correctly for the subject, the areas that are lit by the flash lighting, are generally relatively noise free and that the heavy noise from the higher ISO tend to be more prevalent in the shadowy areas, which are less important to the photo anyway.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post