Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

New camera kit help

Hey all I need some advice,

It’s the end of the financial year and all the big retail outlets are having their sales.
I have the go ahead to get a DSLR on interest free. (it’s the only way it’s ever going to happen) I am limited to the big retailers for the above reason!

I am pretty sure and have been looking at the 350D for some time. One of the deals going at the moment is the 350D with kit lens for $1747 or for $1797 with the addition of 70 – 300 lens.

I have been checking out the twin kits the canon aust site and I can not find one with a 70-300
Here are the kits on the site
Twin kit A:
• Award Winning EOS 350D body
• EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 II standard zoom lens
• EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 telephoto zoom lens
Twin kit B:
• Award Winning EOS 350D body
• EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 II standard zoom lens
• EF 55-200mm f/4.5-5.6 II USM telephoto zoom lens
There is no mention of 70 -300 so I am thinking it may be a miss print??
The 70 -300 F/4.5-5.6 is the only other lens on the canon site, which would be great!

Is any body familiar with a twin kit that has a 70-300 lens in it?? If so what are the specs on the lens??

I had always planned down the track to go for the sigma 18-200 as this I think would do 90% of the work I would do. (Any thoughts) But for the extra few bucks I am thinking the 70-300 or even the 75-300 is looking like good value!

Any way more calls to make next week!
Thanks for any advice

Cheers Russ

Russ

If I were to go for any of these deals I'd choose any package but the 70-300mm. Simply because it isn't as versatile as the other lenses. I rarely use my 70-300mm and @ 300mm it is hard to get a crisp image without a tripod. Well, at least a tripod is the best way to go. But the 18-55mm is a very good kit lens for it's Worth. It isn't very expensive but it does in fact take great photos and is likely the most versatile focal range of the three. 55-200mm is a great choice also. It is a lens I would like to acquire for my collection. It would likely end up being my most widely used lens next to my 35-105mm f3.5-4.5.
So I guess if it came down to it, it would be between the 18-55mm and the 55-200mm. You then need to consider what you'll be photographing most of the time.

I hope I was able to help you shed a little more light as to your choices. Good luck. Smile

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

To be the devils advocate, I take a good 80% of my shots with my 70-300 lens. I use it moe than any other.

I got the 300d in a twin kit, the 70-300 was a quantaray here in the US, which is a rebadged Tamron.

Usually it is better to get the kit lenses offered unless you have a good reason not to. They will be much cheaper than buying them later and they will get you started. If you already have other lenses or plenty of money then this will not apply of course, although having a kit lens to sell with a body later may be of value to you as it will probably be easier to sell a complete camera than a body only especially for a cheaper camera.

Most of what hear about the kit lenses, and this seems to apply to pretty much all brands is that the lenses included at low cost are fairly reasonable, I think you have little to loose by getting them.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm
not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein

Hey Russt - I'd second Pete's advice and go for the kit lenses, unless you had the spare cash and could afford to buy exactly what you wanted outright. Reason being that they are very good value and will probably tide you over until you can shell out the dosh to get better quality glass. You can practice and get a better idea of your usage habits and patterns over the entire zoom range which will help you decide what lens to get later on.

I'd get the 75-300 kit over the 55-200 for the extra reach seeing that the aperture ranges are the same. I think the 75-300 is the new version / replacement for the 70-300...

Thanks for all your replies,
I take on board all your comments, my plan was just to get the 350d with the kit lens and then at a later date replace it with a sigma 18-125 or the 18-200. Most of my shots will be landscape and portrait type. I think the above lens would cover most of it. The twin kits is not that much more and what Pete said makes sense……..reach and having lenses to sell when it comes time to up date. I know I have to start somewhere!

Get this then all I need is a 10-22 , 50mm prime polaroid filter uv filter tripod CF cards ………new credit card and an understanding wife! But hey I did say she would get great use out of it too…hehehe Wink

cheers russ

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post