Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

New glass

is never boring :-)

Recently got my self some new glass.

I re-purchased a brand new Sigma 30mm/1,4 (had a faulty demo sample)

[Image: 30_1.jpg]

[Image: 30_2.jpg]

And i sold my 90mm/2,8 tamron macro to a friend of mine, and got the Nikkor 105/2,8 VR

[Image: 105_1.jpg]

[Image: 105_2.jpg]

And the Nikkor 17-35/2,8 af-s
[Image: 17-35_1.jpg]

[Image: 17-35_2.jpg]

Also got the Nikkor 105 F/2 DC, but it was front focusing so im gonna send it back and get it replaced with a new.

Mini user-review and sample pictures coming soon. Big Grin

/Paul L.

Strives to make photos instead of taking them...

Paul when you come back. How much out was it (focussing) Say for example at 4ft.
Just curious.
When I was using the 50mm f1.8 I thought it was out a bit but the light was not good and it was not a test as such. My wife has wrapped it up for xmas so I can't use it yet.Sad

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Wonderful!!!!!!

good stuff Paul.........looking forward to seeing the results

NT73 Wrote:Paul when you come back. How much out was it (focussing) Say for example at 4ft.
Just curious.
When I was using the 50mm f1.8 I thought it was out a bit but the light was not good and it was not a test as such. My wife has wrapped it up for xmas so I can't use it yet.Sad
At one meter it front focus around 7mm-1cm (at F/4,5), now one could ask if this has any impact on real world shootings.

Well for many people it might not. But im shooting very often wide open with all my glass. And the 105 F/2 Dc wouldnt be a exception.

All my other nikkor focus spot on, im been very spolied by a perfect copy of the 85mm/1,4 D and my new 105 F/2,8 VR is focusing spot on.

If my next copy isnt working 100% ill take my chances with Nikon sweden and let them have a look at it.

Cause i really want this lens.

From the small time iv tested it, i really like how it renders images.

Here is a test snapshot of zack

Wide open F/2.

[Image: 105.jpg]

/Paul L.

Awesome... really nice collection you're building there!

And you can tell I'm not jealous. Cause I'm not. Nooooo.... not jealous at all... nooo... Big Grin

Not only is the glass great so are the shots. Ahhh one day.

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

Thanks for that Paul. NT73

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Np NT, after doing some more tests iv found out that the DC ring isnt calibrated properly, so instead of sending it all the way back, im just gonna call Nikon and see if they can clean and calibrate it while im waiting on monday.

/Paul L.

Beautiful lens and great pictures Paul... Congratulations Smile

Beautiful capture of Zack btw... Smile

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Sigma 30mm/1,4

A lens that have quite a mixed rep, regarding QC. Surely these kind of reps. are always somewhat blown out of proportion by various internet forums (not stating any names lol) Also variables like user error and misscalibrated bodies add to it aswell.

Anyway, iv been thinking about the sigma ever since i got my first F/1,4 lens (the legendary nikkor 85mm/1,4 D) Since the discontinued nikkor 28mm/1,4 have been sold on ebay for outrages numbers i didnt really have any high hopes of beeing able to snatch one.

So i ended up getting the Sigma (second copy since i bought a dud demo sample)

My first impression of it was that it was alot bigger then i imagined ,and that it weight alot more aswell. It felt ”sturdy” not at all like my Nikkor 50mm/1,8 D wich feels like a plastic toy in comparison. (not that it perform like one)

Only gripe i had about this lens(build wise) is the EX finish, im not a very big fan of it to say the least. But thats another storyBig Grin

As for the performance:
My copy seems to performing excellent even wide open, as always when you shoot with a fast lens like F/1,4 you need be steady and remeber that any movement(including the subject, wich in many cases for me is moving lol) can throw everything oof due to the shallow dof.

Even so this lens is alot of fun to shoot with and center sharpness is great. The area where this lens will fall short is corner to corner sharpness, not a total failure but there are other lenses that does this alot better. (I.e nikkor 17-35/2,8 a great lens for landscape and such, or Nikkor 35mm/F/2)

But for lowlight photography and people shots (not to close due to distortion) it's a gem in my book.

The focus is silent and pretty fast on both my D2x and d200.

+
Build (apart from the EX finish)
Centersharpness
Ability to shoot at F/1,4 and get sharp results
Silent
Focus fast

-
Corner sharpness
DG (only for digital)
Seems to be a variation in QC

So for anyone looking for a fast prime in this range, well you cant get anything better then this for the money. (not for Nikon cameras anyway)

Enough rambling, here are some sample shots, most of you have problem seen them already but for you who havent here they are. :-)

All samples wide open except the last one (F/8)

[Image: amy_si2b.jpg]

[Image: amy_si4.jpg]

[Image: amy_si3.jpg]

[Image: sofia_si1.jpg]

[Image: fence_si.jpg]

Merely my impression of the lens, should not been seen as anything else.

/Paul L.

Thanks for the review Paul - great round-up of lenses.

Canon stuff.

Great info Paul. The Sigma looks like a winner.

Slightly off topic: do you feel the Nikon 105 2.8 VR is optically superior to the Tamron 2.8 90mm. I don't think so - no debate that the VR is a great thing, though...

great shots Paul, looks like a keeper......Cool

Thanx guys.

Rob:Im posting my first impression of the 105/2,8 VR soon

/Paul L.

Paul, awesome stuff mate, thanks for those great reviews - I'm sure you'll have lots of use out of those beauties.

Jules

Paul.R.Lindqvist Wrote:Thanx guys.

Rob:Im posting my first impression of the 105/2,8 VR soon

/Paul L.
Can't wait!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Don Schaeffer
Oct 10, 2011, 09:17