Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

New lense thread

I've been sick of my kit lense (Canon EF-s 18-55 F3.5 II) for a while and kind of been looking for a replacement, but not really decided on anything.

Now my best friend is getting married in August and asked me not only to be her maid of honor (best woman), but also to take pictures (what a double challenge :-)) ).

so it's time to make a decision!

I want something slightly longer than the kit lense, sharp, fast focussing, and fast (wide).

So I think the Sigma 18-50 Jules suggested or the Canon 17-40 L are not my choice, because too short.

I have kind of been fancying the Canon 24-70 F2.8L, which - not only - Chris highly recommended, although it will stretch my budget. I really want something fast, so I don't even look at anything F4.

My concern with the 24-70 is that on my 350D it might be not wide enough for some shots (I have never done a wedding!!).
And another limitation is that I really would prefer to be able to do most of the shooting with one lense, as I will be maid as well and don't want to have to carry a bag and fiddle with lenses all the time.

Has anyone had a chance to compare the Canon 24-70L to the equivalent Sigma, which is less than half the price?

And what other suggestions do you have for me, with regard to the wedding in particular?

Thanks for any help,

uli

I have the sigma 24-70 2.8 and love it, a little noisy but fast focusing.

If you want wider sigma has just released a 17-70 F2.8-4.0 Phlip has ordered one and should have some results this week.

I hear what your saying about the kit lens........you have to try hard to get those "pop" shots out of it! The canon 24-70 2.8L would be a great choice can not go wrong............ It really depends on your budget..........see for me if I had that to spend I would get the sigma 24-70 ex 2.8 or the tamron 28-75 2.8 then with the money left over I would buy the tokina 12-24 plus be thinking what else would I buy with the change.......Big Grin The IQ of the third party lens are great, the choices are endless. Budget is the word for my summary if its not in yours go for it!

Hi Uli,

I just love the 24-70 2.8 L - it is my favourite lense. Sorry I am a little late on this advice as I have just got back from New Zealand.

Have you considered the new Canon EF-S lens coming out. I can't remember the exact specs but it is equivilent to the 24-70 2.8 - but for the 1.6 crop sensor and is a constant 2.8. It also has IS built in - link following:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0602/060221...55f28g.asp

If you had a long term plan in going full frame I would go with the L lens.

What I like best about the Canon L glass is the contrast and colour you get from it.

Canon stuff.

Hey Chris,

yep, as I mentioned I remembered your initial recommendations for the 24-70 L, and I think I'll go for it.
I don't want to invest any money into EF-S lenses.

I am a bit put off by the comments I read about getting specific copies of the L lense, because people think there is a range of quality between batches of this lense? so it seems like a gamble to go and get one.

uli

Just shop at a reputable dealer so you can return an inferior one - however, I am sure quality control would have to be better on the Canon L glass than on an aftermarket brand (of which I have owned a few good lenses - Sigma 70-200 2.8 was excellent).

Canon stuff.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post