Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Hi
I am new to this site and serious photography. By serious I mean that instead of taking shots of roofs and missing head shots I want to be understand why the photos I take are correct and not correct.
I was given a set of camera equipment when I retired. I am now 18 months into retirement and still not got it right. So I am concentrating, reading and viewing tutorials. I have started a Projects register and already I am learning more each time I analyse a shot. Hopefully by reviewing other members material I will learn even more.

Welcome to Shuttertalk!

Remember to enjoy the photography before over analyzing it!

The big thing to remember JimJams2411, is not to be too influenced by the pictures published in photographic magazines. If you emulate some of those, you will end up with pictures of pastoral scenes that owe more to armegeddon, than anything natural looking.

Modern photographic software bundled with a new digital camera, is absolutely brilliant and when starting off with this medium, there are two things to consider;

a) Set the camera to `Auto` it will prevent a lot of problems of exposure etc, until you get used to what it can do.

b) When using post production, use adjustments with the attitude that a small alteration to the file, gives greater control and is less ruinous, than being heavy-handed.

Hi and welcome. I would suggest starting by photographing one of your interests (one that is not too demanding as far as photographic skills are required). You should find that this is more rewarding and interesting. If you are starting from the beginning you could try doing some still life images of a flower or other object and learning how different lighting affects your results. Using a tripod or resting your camera on some type of support will help get more control so you can compare results. If you take a narrow subject type to start with you will be able to get more specific advice. Good luck with your objective to take better photographs.

You can view a few of my images including some actions shots at

http://www.art-seekers.com

hello and welcome to shuttertalk.

Welcome, Jim.

Gavioli makes a couple of good points, a) and b).

One of the most basic and important aspects of a good photograph is its composition. So, particularly in the earlier learning stages, using one of the camera's Auto or semi-auto Modes usually takes care of subject exposure, leaving most of the brain's power available to concentrate on the composition of the image.

There is an interesting article about composition here: https://luminous-landscape.com/better-ph...mposition/ which anyone might like to read, and I'm sure that any reader will enjoy the beautiful photographs that accompany the text.

Cheers.
Philip

(Aug 10, 2015, 11:50)EnglishBob Wrote:  Welcome to Shuttertalk!

Remember to enjoy the photography before over analyzing it!

Many Thanks for the Welcome.
I appreciate the words about over analysis and I am afraid my pre-retirement career is poking its ugly nose in to my activities. I do tend to over analyse sometimes to try and get a measure of my progress.
Best Regards

(Aug 10, 2015, 12:16)gavioli Wrote:  The big thing to remember JimJams2411, is not to be too influenced by the pictures published in photographic magazines. If you emulate some of those, you will end up with pictures of pastoral scenes that owe more to armegeddon, than anything natural looking.

Modern photographic software bundled with a new digital camera, is absolutely brilliant and when starting off with this medium, there are two things to consider;

a) Set the camera to `Auto` it will prevent a lot of problems of exposure etc, until you get used to what it can do.

b) When using post production, use adjustments with the attitude that a small alteration to the file, gives greater control and is less ruinous, than being heavy-handed.
Many thanks for the guidance.
Beat Regards.

(Aug 10, 2015, 16:16)MrB Wrote:  Welcome, Jim.

Gavioli makes a couple of good points, a) and b).

One of the most basic and important aspects of a good photograph is its composition. So, particularly in the earlier learning stages, using one of the camera's Auto or semi-auto Modes usually takes care of subject exposure, leaving most of the brain's power available to concentrate on the composition of the image.

There is an interesting article about composition here: https://luminous-landscape.com/better-ph...mposition/ which anyone might like to read, and I'm sure that any reader will enjoy the beautiful photographs that accompany the text.

Cheers.
Philip
Many Thanks for the guidance.
Best Regards.

(Aug 10, 2015, 14:10)cuilin Wrote:  hello and welcome to shuttertalk.

Hi Many Thanks for the welcome.
Best Regards.

(Aug 10, 2015, 12:21)a2zidxdotcom Wrote:  Hi and welcome. I would suggest starting by photographing one of your interests (one that is not too demanding as far as photographic skills are required). You should find that this is more rewarding and interesting. If you are starting from the beginning you could try doing some still life images of a flower or other object and learning how different lighting affects your results. Using a tripod or resting your camera on some type of support will help get more control so you can compare results. If you take a narrow subject type to start with you will be able to get more specific advice. Good luck with your objective to take better photographs.

Hi,
Many Thanks for the welcome.
Also thank you for the suggestions. I am not or have ever been a good gardener and have struggled to get past keeping the grass short. Every time I tried to grow something it was a failure. However, taking up your suggestion, there's nothing to stop me from taking photographs of flowers nurtured by folks who can do it well.

Best Regards.

Hello and welcome. What camera etc, are you using. Cheers. Ed.

To each his own!

(Aug 12, 2015, 08:56)EdMak Wrote:  Hello and welcome. What camera etc, are you using. Cheers. Ed.
Hi thank you for the welcome.

You asked what camera etc, I have.
To provide full specific list wold be too long so I will try and be brief.
Camera : Canon 100D that came with a 18-55mm and 200-700 ( I think as I don't have it in front of me now); Other lenses that attach to these, wide-angle, macro, fish-eye. Lots of filters. Tripod. cleaning kits. Remote device for taking shots, well hard wired remote. Camera Bag............
I have list in my bag which is in the car which is currently on the hands of my dear wife at the shops, again! I also have a couple of compact cameras I had before this gift was presented to me.
I have read reviews of the Camera and the kit lenses. basically a good first-time user camera and that's about all nice they have to say about it. I cannot see me spending a load of money on a higher range of stuff.

That's it, I think.

Best Regards.
Jim

Welcome to ShutterTalk! Nice to have you here with us!

Barbara - Life is what you make of it!

(Aug 12, 2015, 18:07)Barbara G. Wrote:  Welcome to ShutterTalk! Nice to have you here with us!

Hello,
Many thanks for the welcome.
It appears to be a very popular place.
Regards,
Jim

(Aug 12, 2015, 18:07)Barbara G. Wrote:  Welcome to ShutterTalk! Nice to have you here with us!

Hi,
I recently tried to send a photo and it was rejected.
Is there specific protocols for submitting photos to Shuttertalk?

Regards,
Jim

Hello,

Have you taken a look at these two threads?

http://www.shuttertalk.com/forums/Thread...-your-post

http://www.shuttertalk.com/forums/Thread...-To-A-Post

Barbara - Life is what you make of it!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by nia
Apr 3, 2019, 00:00