Poll: D3200 or FZ200 - You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
D3200
100.00%
100.00%
FZ200
0%
0%
* You voted for this item. Show Results

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

New to dslr/bridge cameras

Hi "soon to be fellow photographers"
I'm just about to jump in and buy my first reasonable priced(£500 max) Digital camera, so far from all the "Bumph" out there, I've gleaned that it's a choice between the Nikon D3200 and the Panasonic FZ200. I intend to take all types of pictures from close up portraits to landscapes. I would also like to enter some local photo compos(Later) Now with all your knowledge you have between you all, can you help me out please.
Very much looking forward to all your input.
Yours,Elmar.

Hello and welcome to the forums! It is a pleasure to meet you! Other members will be along to offer their opinions! Thanks for joining us!

Barbara - Life is what you make of it!

Personally, I would buy the Nikon, but, try and handle them and see how they/you feel. Welcome. Ed.

(Nov 2, 2013, 12:09)EdMak Wrote:  Personally, I would buy the Nikon, but, try and handle them and see how they/you feel. Welcome. Ed.

Hi Ed, thanks for your input and i must say that i am moving a little towards the Nikon. Some reviews I've read say that although the D3200 is supposed to be a beginners camera they have had them for ages and would be very reluctant to "upgrade". The thing that worries me is, am I going to have to keep on shelling out on new lenses every time I want a different effect, and some of them do seem rather pricey. Thanks for the welcome. Elmar.

Elmar;

I'm a Nikon semi-pro, and I would love to welcome you to the world of Nikon.
BUT, if your budget is only £500, I think you're going to sorely disappointed when you look at the prices of accessories and lenses that I *KNOW* you're going to want.
Honestly I think you should consider the Canon SX50.
Here's a comparison;
http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-PowerS...-DMC-FZ200
On another forum, I keep seeing great testimonials to the Canon.

Valley of the Sun, Arizona
D2Xs, D200's, D100's, LightRoom, CS-CC
2HowardsPhoto.biz

For what it is worth! I use a Sony, a290, and only use one lens, Tamron 18-200mm. Does all I want/need and more. Any review, is just another opinion. Ed.

Based on personal experience I would choose NIKON. Good way to start you hobby. Pursuing or not still you'll be safe to purchase one of this.

PhotoPlay Photography
What we are is God's gift to us. What we become is our gift to God.
~Eleanor Powell

Although the features of a super-zoom camera are quite seductive, there is a physical component that limits creativity - they all have tiny image sensors that give very little control of image noise and depth of field. You will soon learn (if you don't already know) that both of those parameters can have a significant effect on image quality and appeal.

Control of both is greatly enhanced by the much larger sensors of DSLRs. Therefore my advice is - take your first steps on the ladder of a DSLR system. Whatever your initial DSLR kit, enjoy learning to use every aspect of it, and practise lots and lots of shots, while you save towards the purchase of your next lens.

I also suggest that you consider buying used equipment, preferably from a proper photographic retailer who will give a good warranty. That way you will get much more for your money - most of my equipment is secondhand, typically costing around 2/3 of new, or even less. For £500 you might be able to start with a decent body (next level up rather than entry level) and a zoom lens with a good range.

Philip

(Nov 2, 2013, 08:04)Elmar.J. Wrote:  Hi "soon to be fellow photographers"
I'm just about to jump in and buy my first reasonable priced(£500 max) Digital camera, so far from all the "Bumph" out there, I've gleaned that it's a choice between the Nikon D3200 and the Panasonic FZ200. I intend to take all types of pictures from close up portraits to landscapes. I would also like to enter some local photo compos(Later) Now with all your knowledge you have between you all, can you help me out please.
Very much looking forward to all your input.
Yours,Elmar.

Elmar;

Part of the equation is, 'what kind of photographic experience do you have, especially in digital'?

IF you are relatively inexperienced, then I still think a bridge camera is the better deal for you right now. They are easier to deal with and less expensive. As you get better, when you find that the camera is holding you back, THEN move to an interchangeable lens setup. At that point you'll have a better understanding of what you want from photography and how to get it. If you buy the Nikon first, then you'll be dealing with a lot of technical "stuff" just trying to make any image, much less one you're trying for.

Valley of the Sun, Arizona
D2Xs, D200's, D100's, LightRoom, CS-CC
2HowardsPhoto.biz

(Nov 3, 2013, 12:12)Wall-E Wrote:  If you buy the Nikon first, then you'll be dealing with a lot of technical "stuff" just trying to make any image, much less one you're trying for.

I have to disagree with this - the fact is that a DSLR can be as easy as your current level needs you to make it, and you can learn to use more of its features entirely at your own pace. In this respect it is no more difficult than a Bridge (Super-zoom) camera.

All (except perhaps the professionals' cameras) have an Auto Mode, in which the camera takes care of everything regarding focus, exposure and flash, and you can concentrate on the composition of your images. As you learn more about your camera and photography, you can progress through the other modes to gradually take more control - Program Auto, Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority and Manual Mode.

However, you will have all the DSLR advantages, e.g. not only being able to use different lenses, but also to get good results in low light (the low noise advantage), and to more creatively separate subject and background in close-up/portrait shots (the depth of field advantage). Why not buy into those advantages and have them available, for when you are ready to use them, from the very start of your new adventure in photography?

I began the adventure only a couple of years ago and started with a decent Compact, then an expensive Bridge, finally followed by a DSLR. I still have a compact (small enough to carry everywhere), but I wish I hadn't wasted some of my pension going along the Bridge route to get to the DSLR - it really was an unnecessary interlude.

Philip

Philip wrote,
Although the features of a super-zoom camera are quite seductive, there is a physical component that limits creativity - they all have tiny image sensors that give very little control of image noise and depth of field. You will soon learn (if you don't already know) that both of those parameters can have a significant effect on image quality and appeal.

Philip, while the technical aspect is a bit above me, (Digital was just becoming usable, when I retired, so have no Pro experience of it}. I can say, that a friend had the earlier version of the Panasonic, FZ150, (?), and his results were very impressive. I have produced for him, A3's of about half of the "neg", and well satisfied with results, across a broad spectrum. Since the lens is not changeable, then surely the manufacturer has matched it, to the Sensor. I certainly would have no hesitation using one on a Pro basis. Just my thoughts. Ed.

You can get a Nikon D3100 for about $100 less. That's the real start up Nikon DSLR. Cost is well under $500.

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

Most modern digital cameras (even some phone cameras) are capable of recording good images in good conditions but, as previously noted, the DSLRs offer advantages making them more versatile.

Just consider the low noise/high ISO advantage. The following images are cropped from controlled conditions test shots by the Nikon D3100 (DSLR) and the Lumix FZ200 (Bridge), both taken at ISO 3200:

The DSLR image is clearly better quality - the ISO of the Bridge camera would probably need to be reduced by 3 stops (ISO 400) to approach similar quality:

(See - http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasoni...mc-fz200/8 )

Here are a couple of many possible practical examples where quality at high ISO is advantageous -
Photography in cathedrals and museums, where the lighting is often subdued and flash is often not allowed.
In wildlife photography, particularly in the low light of dawn or dusk, where a fast shutter speed might be needed to use a long lens and/or to stop motion.

Philip

When/where did you take these. What were the controlled conditions. Ed.

(Nov 3, 2013, 03:38)PhotoPlay Wrote:  Based on personal experience I would choose NIKON. Good way to start you hobby. Pursuing or not still you'll be safe to purchase one of this.

Thanks for that. I have indeed decided on the Nikon, simply because it appeared staring me in the face on Ebay. It has a few extras with ,different size lenses and what have you, so once i've figured out what everything does I'll be up and running.(hopefully).Anyway, I'd like to thank all of your inputs for the type of camera, now I just need some input on how to become a "photographer"
Thanks again.
Elmar.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by melvin
Jul 9, 2013, 09:52
Last Post by Beckylouise
Jun 9, 2013, 08:29