Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Nikon 50mm f/1.8G or f/1.4 lens

I'm going to buy a 50mm lens for my Nikon D5100, could use some input on which one to get. The Nikon 50mm f/1.8G AF-S Lens or the Nikon 50mm f/1.4 AF-S Lens. Other than the obvious price difference, Is the 1.4 really that much better than the 1.8, or is the $200 more really not worth the difference?

If you don't really need the extra 2/3 of light get the 1.8 version. If you're not sure if you need the extra speed or not, you probably don't.

(May 5, 2013, 05:20)DLSkirvin Wrote:  I'm going to buy a 50mm lens for my Nikon D5100, could use some input on which one to get. The Nikon 50mm f/1.8G AF-S Lens or the Nikon 50mm f/1.4 AF-S Lens. Other than the obvious price difference, Is the 1.4 really that much better than the 1.8, or is the $200 more really not worth the difference?

I have the 1.4 and it takes some great photos! I read a ton of reviews on the 1.8 and 1.4 before I bought it and have been happy ever since....

I have the 1.8 m love it.

Love what you have and buy only what you need. 1.4 is far more much better than 1.8 and specifically made for it.

PhotoPlay Photography
What we are is God's gift to us. What we become is our gift to God.
~Eleanor Powell

I have a f/1.4 50mm prime from Nikon and it gives me amazing control over light and thus the quality of photos.
Excellent bokehs, blurred backgrounds, faster lens in low light conditions (indoors).

Cheers
Samy

I have used a 1.4 50mm Nikon lens since I bought my first Nikon Nikormat over 40 years ago. It is still the best 50mm lens you can buy. If you can afford it, buy it. I still use the old 1.4 in manual mode on my d7000!! It's my favorite lens of the 6 I own.

BobbyG - welcome to the forum and thanks for posting! Nice to have you here!

Barbara - Life is what you make of it!

(May 5, 2013, 05:20)DLSkirvin Wrote:  I'm going to buy a 50mm lens for my Nikon D5100, could use some input on which one to get. The Nikon 50mm f/1.8G AF-S Lens or the Nikon 50mm f/1.4 AF-S Lens. Other than the obvious price difference, Is the 1.4 really that much better than the 1.8, or is the $200 more really not worth the difference?

My philosophy, buy the fastest and best lens you can afford or six months down the line you might be wishing you had.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post