Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Nikon Confirm two new DSLRs

You've probably seen all the posts and news on the net by now, but Nikon UK has posted a very short and cryptic press release:

Quote:Nikon Product News Update

Following recent speculation, Nikon UK is pleased to confirm the launch of two new digital SLR cameras to be launched towards the end of April 2005.

Both cameras have been designed to meet the requirements of the entry-level digital SLR user. The first will position itself as successor to the Nikon D70, offering an upgraded version to this highly commended D-SLR. The camera will incorporate the latest in Nikon technology, whilst retaining the functionality and quality which has come to be expected from the D70.

In addition to this, Nikon will be introducing a second D-SLR, specifically designed for consumers looking to upgrade from a digital compact to the next level of digital photography. The camera will be affordable and easy to use, perfect for the D-SLR beginner.

More detailed information on both new products will follow shortly.

No names, but pretty sure the first is the D70s and the second is the D50. I'd be interested to see the specs...

Anyone want to buy a 350D?

Big Grin Big Grin
Just kidding!

It was funny reading some of the annoyed comments posted by people who had bought a 300D or D70 just before the 350D was announced.. as if it magically made the photos that came out of a 300D or D70 suddenly rubbish. Of course upgrades are ineviatable, especially when both the 300D and D70 have been in the market for 18 months!

I'm sure the new Nikons will be great (probably better than the 350D)... but that doesn't make my 350D images any worse than they were yesterday. I was happy yesterday, so I should still be happy today.

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

They should have been expecting a new camera from all those rumours! Smile as you said, it's inevitable!
Next will be when the 350D is replaced Smile

My 300D is still good, even after it heard the news of the 350D, it still works Smile

The only thing that seemed to get worse as I used it was the kit lens Smile haha

The D70 had some nicer features than the 300D, such as a fast startup Wink
So hopefully the new Nikon camera has some nicer features than the 350D, and this will drive competition to create better cameras for cheaper prices! YAY! Smile
haha

For the most part, a few relatively minor feature improvements aren't going to improve the photography of most of us - practice and improving our skillsets will do that more.

Typically when Nikon has attached the "s" to a model number it means relatively minor improvements - not major ones - they did that several times in their film SLRs and the "s" never amounted to much.

However...this may be just the opoportunity I have been waiting for to buy a priced to sell D70 - I am sure they will be blown out when the D70s hits the stores.

I found some pics and info at the Info Digital Camera website.

According to them, the D70s just has a slightly bigger LCD screen, supports more languages, has a different battery and charger, uses a different remote, will possibly have an optional grip available for it, and has a slightly wider built-in flash range.

That's crazy. Not only will those changes NOT do anything much to impact on the competition, but its also a sign that the D70 will still be around for a while before a new model comes out!

[Image: d509uk.jpeg]

The D50 at least looks interesting, and is aimed to hit Canon where it hurts - the 1st time DSLR market. Features aside, there are a significant proportion of people who will buy the cheapest DSLR they can as their first. If Nikon can undercut the 300D, even if it is an inferior camera it will probably still do well. Once those 1st time buyers buy a lens or two, you can bet they will stick with their brand for the next DSLR they buy.

But silver? omg.. whyyyy.. WHHHYYYYYY???? I'm sure plenty of people don't care too much, but I know nobody who actually PREFERS silver over black, but gazillions who prefer black over silver. I know they want to give people an incentive to outlay more for a "pro" black camera, but please! Silver is so 2002! Rolleyes Why not just paint it bright orange with a sticker on it saying "noob". Or if they want it to just look daggy, why not make little fake wood-panels for it.
Having said that, I left my camera bag open in the sun the other day, and noticed my (silver) 350D body was noticably cooler than the black kit lens attached to it. So if the camera were left in the sun then yes, silver or white would be better. But in that case, why not make all the pro cameras silver too! hehe Tongue

Anyway, if the info on that website is true about the D70S... <sigh>.. then it will probably be another 6 months before Nikon even get the chance to really give Canon a scare with a "proper" new model. And if they can't repeat the stellar performance they pulled off when they released the D70, well, they might find themselves slipping Sad

<fingers crossed>

Edit: ooo.. look on the D50 pics. Not one but two command dials and a mic and speaker for voice annotation. Very handy (although I never use that function on my Oly).
I want a GPS in my camera to automatically record the location of shots. Now *that* would be handy.

Adrian Broughton

It will be very interesting to see the D50 price point. If it comes at the same price as the 350D, most consumers in the target market will pick the 8mp camera, though the benefits are dubious. The Nikon's 1/500s flash sync and 2.5% spot meter, while interesting to some, would probably not be big factors for the majority.

Given the high volume of DSLRs being sold, and increasing competition from Pentax, Minolta, etc., prices should be heading toward film-camera levels over the next few years.

I'm still quite pleased with my 10D, but I'm looking forward to the 2008 lineup. Smile

There's only one question that most newbie camera buyers ask when shopping for a camera - "how many megapixels?"

Now the Nikon marketing department must know this, and unless they have decided to undertake a massive re-education program for the masses, they will need to work with this phenomonon, not against it.

For this reason alone I think that the D50 will probably be targeted as a faster, cheaper 300D with a few extra bells and whistles. And I think it should do very well in this role.

Sorry to disagree with you Slej, but if the D50 sells for the same price as the 350D I think it will get laughed off the shelves. There seems to be no new technology in it, only evidence of major cost cutting. And the D70 already sells for around the same price as the 350D (and I think the 350D is easily out-selling it)... So why would you choose a D50 unless it were *significantly* cheaper?

It will be interesting to see where things go though with all the brands. In particular I want to see if Olympus and Kodak can get their "four thirds" format to build up some momentum. I don't think they will, but to me it seems like a really well thought out system with the future in mind. But.. I'm not going to risk my $$$ on it unless I'm confident there will be lenses and accessories around for it in 10 years time.

Cheers
Adrian

Adrian Broughton

I anticipate the D50 being significantly cheaper - possibly $700 US - and not at a 350D price point.

The D50 *might* get some entry level photographers interested in it because they already own SD cards from other devices. That is one possible advantage for some.

One thing that I have noticed is that Nikon does not specifically identify the new D70 successor as the D70s - that speculation is based on a "leaked" user manual that has been circulating about the web. That may make my argument regarding "s" model upgrades from Nikon less valid. Nikon was pretty cagey when they brought out the D70 - so we may want to play wait and see before talking about Nikon waiting 6 months before giving Canon a scare with "proper" new models.

Long and short of it: all the Nikon and Canon DSLRs are really capable cameras - and the competition is a great thing for all consumers. Ken Rockwell says it pretty well on his website when he says that you should consider your digital camera body to be a disposable piece of your photo system (approximately a 2 year life expectancy). Buy good lenses from one of the major brands and use that as your hedge against obsolesence. The lenses will be compatible with whatever the latest and greatest is now and in 5 years.

As for Nikon vs Canon (shrug) - what lenses do you already own?

Kombisaurus Wrote:Sorry to disagree with you Slej, but if the D50 sells for the same price as the 350D I think it will get laughed off the shelves. There seems to be no new technology in it, only evidence of major cost cutting. And the D70 already sells for around the same price as the 350D (and I think the 350D is easily out-selling it)... So why would you choose a D50 unless it were *significantly* cheaper?

Please re-read my post. I said the same thing - at a similar price point, most buyers would pick the 8mp camera (350D.)

Sorry, just had my economics lecture Wink

Of course a faster startup time won't improve your shots Smile hehe

slejhamer Wrote:Please re-read my post. I said the same thing - at a similar price point, most buyers would pick the 8mp camera (350D.)

Yes, you're right. Sorry Slej.

It was just the way I read it - It sounded like you were saying the two cameras *should* compete (although also acknowledging that more megapixels = more sales). Nevermind. Upon closer inspection I can see I was basically repeating the point.

I guess it is all speculation anyway... I don't think there are any Nikon marketing people hidden away who read shuttertalk, so its not like we can change anything. Wink

And of course Toad has an excellent point with his Ken Rockwell paraphrase... but I guess if we're talking about an inexperienced 1st time buyer (which is the target market for the D50), then not only will they NOT have any lenses yet, but they also probably won't put the same emphasis on lenses as perhaps they should. They just want a cheap way into DSLR's.

At the end of the day for an entry-level camera like this I think it all comes down to the pricing as to where it will sit in the pecking order and how well it will do.
If the D50 was released at $200 it would turn the photography world on its head... if it were released at $2000 then it would turn Nikon into the laughing stock... Same camera, very different outcomes.

Adrian Broughton

Kombisaurus Wrote:I guess it is all speculation anyway... I don't think there are any Nikon marketing people hidden away who read shuttertalk, so its not like we can change anything. Wink

We read everything.

Now thats funny, LOL!

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm
not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
Excellent!

Well Mr Marketing... while we've got your attention.. Can you also make the following changes?

1. Display ISO everywhere you see shutter and aperture.
2. Stop using silver.
3. Agree on a standard battery format so every cameras doesn't come with a different one.
4. Agree on a standard RAW file format.
5. etc. etc.

Anyone got something to add?

Adrian Broughton

6. Carbon Fibre
7. Titanium
8. Bluetooth

The three elements of "coolness" Smile

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"

- Albert Einstein

Another link to add to this
http://nikonimaging.com/global/news/2005/0420_02.htm

Cool... thanks!

Already posted it on the front page yesterday though! Big Grin Big Grin
http://www.shuttertalk.com/news.php?article=2658

Possibly Related Threads…