Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Nikon D40 or Pentax K100D

Hello People
I am planning on upgrading to a new camera. What would you guys recommend of these two cameras?

Thank you.

Hey kanedaguy,

Good question, and those two cameras look very interesting indeed.

When purchasing a DSLR, don't forget to think about what lenses and accessories you'll also be purchasing down the line. I'm not sure whether you have any pre-existing lenses so I'll assume you're starting afresh.

The Nikon D40 looks like a very good camera, small, lightweight, nice large LCD screen and compatible with the best lens system in the world (ha ha, calm down canon users, I'm just kidding). The biggest drawback I can see is that it is only compatible with Nikon AF-s lenses, i.e. only the more modern lenses with built in motors. If you're planning to stick with the kit lenses, then fine, but it will limit your choices if you plan to buy more (especially 2nd hand ones) down the line. They also left out the top LCD display on the D40, but to me it is not a necessity, and it's down to user preference.

I'm not very well versed with Pentax, but from looking at the features and specs, the K100D looks like a good performer. Again, take a look at the potential lenses that you might buy down the track and see how they stack up in reviews. If budget is not a factor and you're keen on the Pentax route, I might actually suggest getting the K110D which has built in image stabilisation which is handy to have.

Hope that helps...

Jules

p.s. welcome to Shuttertalk!

Shuttertalk is correct in identifying the "AF-S only" lens restriction of the D40 as its most significant drawback. This also restricts you from using quality 3rd party lenses by Tamron, Sigma, etc.

shuttertalk Wrote:If budget is not a factor and you're keen on the Pentax route, I might actually suggest getting the K110D which has built in image stabilisation which is handy to have.
Hey I just realised, that the K100D is the one with image stabilisation and K110D is the one without... Big Grin

Hey shuttertalk
Yeah I was wondering about that.

I think I like the option with Pentax because I dont mind creating an inventory of Pentax lenses and then moving up to the next level of DSLR in a couple of years.

The Shake Reduction is a big deal (been cracking my knuckles since I was 10).

I think I will also get the Gorillapod SLR-Zoom.

You guys check this - http://www.flickr.com/photos/abhic/

Should have the new camera and gpod by early next week, and will be posting my review here.

Thanks guys.

Awesome, looking forward to the review! Big Grin

I cannot tell you about the Nikon D40 as I have committed to Pentax .... as although I had an old FE2 I had a lot of old Pentax lenses and one of the strengths of the Pentax Brand is the backward lens compatability ... they all fit ... M42 screw fits need an adaptor. THis opens up the possibility of using the excellent limited Pentax lenses

I have used the K100D ( this is the one with the image stabilising by the way .. the K110D does not ). I also regularily use and enjoy the *1St DS ...

The build quality of the K100D is excellent. The other advantage for me is the use of rechargeable AA 2700 batteries. So easy to find. The image stabilising gives you two stops ... and whilst maybe slightly less effective than IS in lens it represents brilliant value.
For me I quite like the 6MP as this gives better high ISO performance and I dont print larger than A3 so generally not a problem.
The newer version ( Super) I think also has a dust clearing facility ... probably of limited use.

Review in dpreview is very positive.

If I was buying the Nikon i would definitely go for the D80 ....better lens compatability.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by delb0y
Apr 9, 2017, 04:26
Last Post by EnglishBob
Jan 4, 2017, 10:00