Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Nikon D70 w/SB800, SB600 and Commander Mode

I am looking for information/discussion on the above combination. I am hoping that someone out there can give me some tips and/or hints on the best method for this combination to work.

I am going to be shooting a group (100+) of people in a gymnasium for a family reunion. We will use bleachers to pose the group. I went into the gym this week and took some practice pictures. But I was not overly happy with the results. I am figuring on an area of use of about 25 feet long by 15 feet high.

Commander mode is set up by placing the mode into one of the non-manual settings. What seems to work best is "P" or "A". Once in Commander mode, the built-in flash acts as a master controller for the "slave/remote" flashes. I had my wife stand in several places with the above described area. It tried several different mode settings on the camera and also used several different positions for the flashes. As an additional test, I used the built-in flash by it's self and the SB800 by it's self for some testing.

What I found is that I got better pictures using either the built-in or SB800 then I did using the SB800 and SB600 as remotes with commander mode. Let me qualify that. The pictures were better in the center of the group. But the light fell off on the ends of the group.

Using the SB800 and SB600 as remotes in Commander mode provide for the most even light throughout the group, but it was much less lit then the straight on flash.

I thought iTTL would provide for the most lighting. I have the flashes set to provide the most power with no +/- to settings. I have read through the manuals of the flashes and the camera looking for additional info with little success.

I am new to using these flashes and am anxious to have the pictures turn out well. Can anyone suggest anything that might help? :/

LeviDavis Wrote:I am looking for information/discussion on the above combination. I am hoping that someone out there can give me some tips and/or hints on the best method for this combination to work.

I am going to be shooting a group (100+) of people in a gymnasium for a family reunion. We will use bleachers to pose the group. I went into the gym this week and took some practice pictures. But I was not overly happy with the results. I am figuring on an area of use of about 25 feet long by 15 feet high.

Commander mode is set up by placing the mode into one of the non-manual settings. What seems to work best is "P" or "A". Once in Commander mode, the built-in flash acts as a master controller for the "slave/remote" flashes. I had my wife stand in several places with the above described area. It tried several different mode settings on the camera and also used several different positions for the flashes. As an additional test, I used the built-in flash by it's self and the SB800 by it's self for some testing.

What I found is that I got better pictures using either the built-in or SB800 then I did using the SB800 and SB600 as remotes with commander mode. Let me qualify that. The pictures were better in the center of the group. But the light fell off on the ends of the group.

Using the SB800 and SB600 as remotes in Commander mode provide for the most even light throughout the group, but it was much less lit then the straight on flash.

I thought iTTL would provide for the most lighting. I have the flashes set to provide the most power with no +/- to settings. I have read through the manuals of the flashes and the camera looking for additional info with little success.

I am new to using these flashes and am anxious to have the pictures turn out well. Can anyone suggest anything that might help? :/

Hi LeviDavis,

I use Canon not Nikon, but I know how unnecessarily complex these flash systems can be, so I empathize with you!

I've also done group shots in a gym (a large martial arts dojo) and understand your frustrations.

With Canon flash, and probably Nikon as well, the flash metering is very different for each shooting mode. In Aperture priority, for example, metering is for fill flash, while in Program mode, metering assumes the flash is the primary light source. When I am relying on flash for lighting, I find P mode is very satisfactory, but if I am very confident in my metering (not often) I will use Manual mode. So the first thing is to see if you get the same intensity of light by switching shooting modes.

After that, you'll have to play with exposure comp settings. Keep in mind that your metering can be easily tricked by specular highlights! In a gym with mirrors, for example, the meter preflash might trick the camera into a lower setting. This is less common if the flashes are off-camera, but your camera and flash angles might be the culprit. This is another reason why I might use Manual exposure settings.

Hope that helps a little bit.

:begin rant:
And why the heck can't Canon make a built-in slave flash trigger? Rolleyes The technology is there, and it wouldn't cost much. Instead we have to shell out big bucks for their overpriced add-on trigger. What a bunch of bunk!
:end rant:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by delb0y
Apr 9, 2017, 04:26
Last Post by EnglishBob
Jan 4, 2017, 10:00