Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Nikon D80 Shutter Count

I am considering a like new D80 which I have determined to have 3297 shutter activations. My concern is this is not really 3297 but 103297. Anyone know if the D80 can actually show a count over 100K or does the internal counter roll back to 0 after 99,9999? I have ask this question of several forums and no one seems to really know. Nikon was no help as they never replied back.

Thanks to all Smile

Hi.
If it's like-new then most likely it has only 3k actuations. If it would have 100K, it would show on the body itself. It would look worn out. Nikon dslrs grip rubbers have a bad tendency to look really bad after about 60-80k actuations

You should check the number of actuations for yourself using specific software or these websites
I wouldn't rely on the file name sequence.

(Feb 18, 2013, 06:50)authorizeduser Wrote:  I am considering a like new D80 which I have determined to have 3297 shutter activations. My concern is this is not really 3297 but 103297. Anyone know if the D80 can actually show a count over 100K or does the internal counter roll back to 0 after 99,9999? I have ask this question of several forums and no one seems to really know. Nikon was no help as they never replied back.

Thanks to all Smile

I have a NIkon D80 before and the actual shutter count before I gave to my nephew is 146,777. Yes it displays the shutter count number if beyond 100k. It was my best camera, I learned and it help my business from various events. And yes it is till like brand new when it comes to shutter clicks.

PhotoPlay Photography
What we are is God's gift to us. What we become is our gift to God.
~Eleanor Powell

Hi Vlad thanks for the link, i have just used it and shocked my self, i have only had my Dslr for a month and am already on 7232 shutter count??!!!! is it true that after 100K its best to replace your camera??!! or can u not get them serviced?!

(Sep 2, 2013, 09:44)funkymunky Wrote:  Hi Vlad thanks for the link, i have just used it and shocked my self, i have only had my Dslr for a month and am already on 7232 shutter count??!!!! is it true that after 100K its best to replace your camera??!! or can u not get them serviced?!

I think your looking on the image number which can be reset anytime. Shutter counts of each camera doesn't have to be replace when it reached its 100k. You can feel and see if your shutter clicks is a little bit wear off during your shoot then its time to replace it. It will cost you cheap than buying a new Dslr. I think it will cost like $80 to $120. Big question is will the parts of the Dslr still available since manufacturers are too fast making new models.

PhotoPlay Photography
What we are is God's gift to us. What we become is our gift to God.
~Eleanor Powell

thanks for your reply, Photoplay. technology is moving to fast to keep up with now a days. you by the lastest 1 day to find its out dated the next..

(Sep 2, 2013, 09:44)funkymunky Wrote:  Hi Vlad thanks for the link, i have just used it and shocked my self, i have only had my Dslr for a month and am already on 7232 shutter count??!!!! is it true that after 100K its best to replace your camera??!! or can u not get them serviced?!

No, shoot until it dies.
Then, if it makes economic sense, you can get a new shutter installed.

There's a database here that tries to give an indication of shutter life.
http://www.olegkikin.com/shutterlife/

If you look up my camera, a Nikon D2xs, you can see that there's a distinct drop-off after about 500,000 actuations. My camera has just under 20k, so I expect a long relationship with this body.

Valley of the Sun, Arizona
D2Xs, D200's, D100's, LightRoom, CS-CC
2HowardsPhoto.biz

thanks Wall-E i will have a look, should be interesting Smile

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post