Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Adding to Flash Talk

I am a long time user of a Nikon D70 (okay, 6 months.. but it's a long time for me to stay into a hobby!).

It's my first foray into D-SLR and I am doing ok with it so far, but I think I could do better.

One of the things I've noticed recently is that the built-in flash is u-s-e-l-e-s-s for anything other than popping up fast whenever you want.

So I've gone and got a SB-50DX to add and I like the adjustable head locations for bouncing etc.

I am also in to the commander mode of wireless flash. Can any one give me tips on setting up with this flash (i.e. stands, mounts to get etc.) and good examples of when to use it?

I tend not to use the flash unless it's absolutely impossible for me to get a steady shot without it and like the idea of remote flash.

Tips appreciated!!!

Camera: Nikon D70
Level: Eager Amateur
Area of speciality: Sceneries
Area of Learning: Portraiture

Is the commander mode built into the camera or the flash? I'm not familiar with the Nikon gear but it sounds similar to the master-slave setup on the Canon EX's

If you're learning portraiture it would be of benefit to have off camera flash.

yeah, Commander would be exactly the same as master-slave.

Senses the built in flash going off and fires. I tried it last night for the first time and was blown away by how it lit up my scene, but I am almost intimidated by getting it in the right (or near right) spot and the concept of metering etc.

Just looking for tips first off on setup, how to get the flash mobile so I don't have to hold onto it.. and then to know how or when to change the power of the fire when lighting the subject.

Is it all about putting the thing 45 degrees between me and the subject, basically?

anyone found if they did soomething tricky and it paid off?

Camera: Nikon D70
Level: Eager Amateur
Area of speciality: Sceneries
Area of Learning: Portraiture

I haven't played much with flashes, but I did hire a Canon 550EX to use with a 300D in a cousin's wedding. It figured out everthing for me, so all I had to do was point it sort of 45 degree-ish and it did it's magic. Results were ourstanding - 1000% improvement over the built in flash.

Just remember that when you shoot in portrait orientation, that you need to swivel the head as well so that it points to the ceiling - otherwise it would be firing off to the side.

Also, when there are high celiings (e.g. in church), bounce flash is not very effective -- shoot straight on.. but then the photos start to look alot like they were taken using the built in flash again.

Shooting straight on you can still use something like the Stofen Omni-Bounce it does soften the light up quite a bit but if it is too dark an environment it can make the air look hazy.

did u have a diffusion head on ? cause its not as bad when your taking direct photos if you have one of them on ..

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by delb0y
Sep 4, 2016, 14:17
Last Post by snaphappy
Apr 4, 2016, 11:09