Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Nikon SB 600 Flash

I need some guidance or direction from someone with flask experience. I have a D50 and am trying to use the SB 600 flash unit. I have read both manuals twice, changed batteries etc. I can not get the flast to sync with the camera. The flash goes off, but appears to go off a fraction of a second late. I assume this because the pictures I take are dark. If I use the built in flash on the D50 , it works fine. This weekend I put the SB 600 on my friends D40 and the flash worked fine, and the pictures were fine. With this knowlege I am making the assumption that the camera is not working correctly?
What are your thoughts? Have you had this experience?

Thanks
Steve

Hey Steve:

I am at work, so can't look at my Nikon to advise - but take a look at this link about flash synch modes. I suspect that your D50 is set to "slow" or some other undesired mode like "Rear". Try setting the flash synch mode to Normal and see what happens.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d50/d50...-front.htm

Rob

Rob
Thanks, I will try this when I get home tonight

Hey Steve,

I was using a SB600 on my D50 previously, and didn't have any problems. I would suggest as well that it could be stuck in some funny flash mode since it works on your friend's camera. If it's doing a rear curtain mode (i.e. flash when the shutter closes instead of when it opens) and you have a long shutter speed set, then it would explain the lag.

If in doubt, maybe set it to auto (green square) or reset the camera to default settings to see if things return to normal.

All the best and let us know how you go!

I checked the flash mode last night and found it in "normal mode" so tonight I will reset both the camera and the flash unit to default condition and start from square 1

Thanks for everones help

Steve

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by delb0y
Apr 9, 2017, 04:26