Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Nikon d200 or Canon 20d

I just received permission to buy the 20d, then the announcement of the d200 came out. Being a newbie, with no lenses is the d200 a much better camera. Whats a few more golf lessons to pay for the new camera..

Both are excellent cameras.

The D200 has a more professional body with full weather sealing, 10.2 Mpx (vs 8.2 for the 20D), and includes Nikon's superb Commander mode (wireless off-camera flash control).

On paper, the D200 is superior to the 20D - but it also costs $200 US more.

Please see this comparison for more detail than I can ever tell you:

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/nikond200/page12.asp

On the other hand, nobody actually has a D200 to play with yet - so how good it really is is still a matter of conjecture.

You will be happy with either - guaranteed.

In the sake of full disclosure, I have already put a deposit down on a D200 (after extensive research) so I am biased.

Canon and Nikon both make excellent cameras and lenses. You can't really miss with either.

Whatever your decision it will be come more apparent the more glass you buy. Bodies will come and go, but good glass can be forever. The investment is in lenses.

That said, they are both excellent systems.

Nos an modica tantum nostri somnium
"We are limited only by our imagination"

hi

uuhmmm what else can i say? nikon a new in the market new technology?

regards

christian

Yeah, you'll probably be happy with either...

Agree what Toad said - D200 looks better on paper, but again, it comes down to the glass. 200 bucks is nothing when lenses cost 10 times that.

The 20D is more than a year old isn't it?

I would either wait a few months for Canon's upgrade to the 20D or think really carefully about the lenses you want to buy in the future.

But either camera is going to be great. Key would probably be if you are planning to do much shooting in low light - if so I would go the Canon as the Nikon has gone back to a CCD sendor.

Cheers,

Chris

Canon stuff.

Thank you for the responses..Mostly I will be shooting outdoors, landscapes and hopefully most of Europe someday. Wait for the 30d :o :o ...I need need ... Wink
Triple rebate which made the wife happy to spend $2000.

I was all set on this package.
20d
17 - 40 L
50mm 1.4
70 - 200 4 L

Now the nikon 200d
I dont know much about the lenses for nikon please help.. Which lense would be a good all around lense for outside shooting, I would have about $500. to spend

Nikon lenses - big subject...

This guy has a lot of information, reviews and reccomendations about Nikon lenses on his site:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/nikkor.htm#digital

For a good 1-size-fits-all Nikon lens, I am seriously considering the 18-200 VR (image stabilized) that will be released the same time as the D200 - I have a tentative order in for it as well. I would like to see a lens test of it first - so I may not purchase it at the same time - I have other Nikon lenses however - so the urgency is not there for me.

The 18-200 looks like it will cost about $700 US

Im with Jericho, you buy into a system, lenses speedlights etc.

Just pick what you think will fit your needs best.

Best of luck.

/P.L

Strives to make photos instead of taking them...

dstick - the 18-70 kit lens is supposed to be quite good, which should serve as a good starting point...

You don't have to buy everything at once... take your time, find out what your shooting habits are, and then go from there. I find that my standard lens stays on 95% of the time - I've got a telephoto zoom in the bag, but it hardly comes out. For me, a 70-200 2.8 VR would be nice to have, but probably not worth spending that much based on my shooting habits or current needs. Maybe if I get into shooting sports, I might start thinking differently.. Big Grin

There are some good user reviews here:
http://www.photographyreview.com/cat/len...80crx.aspx

Also, checkout fred miranda for more user reviews...

shutter thank you for the reply...Is there a nikon lens like the 70- 200 4L. Not with great range but very sharp..I would use it mostly outdoors in good light.

I don't believe there is one that is currently in production...

I think there was a 70-210 f/4, but that's out of production.

In the current lens lineup, all I can see is the 70-200 f/2.8 VR, and the 80-200 f/2.8 which is around 1/2-2/3 the price of the 70-200...

Alternatively, there are Sigma makes one as well...

I personally own the 80-200 F2.8 and it is superb. They say the 70-200 VR is slightly better - but if you went for the 80-200 I guarantee you would not be disappointed. It is F2.8 through its entire range and is professional quality glass.

byrt_001 also owns the 80-200, F2.8 I believe.

There is also a 70-300 F4-5.6 available. It is not to the same standard as the other 2 but is smaller and significantly cheaper.

Note too that there is a AF-s version (silent wave motor - fast!), and an older D type version.

I have the non AF-S version - it focusses instantly - the AF-S version must be awesome.

hi

yes i do have an 80-200 f2.8 afsw very fast, feels like a real lens not like canon!! hehehehe

the best advice go to a camera shot an ask to show u some lenses..tell them im shopping around and looking for the best price and can the match or a discount?

stop reading so much

go

thank you for the replys byrt and shutter.. Byrt , I have a chance to buy a used 80 - 200 2.8 for $600. It is from a manager at a local camera shop. Is that a good deal.

hi

i do habe the SW or the AF-S...it is extremely good...thats my work force...primary lens.

D........ sorry i do not work for a camera shop.... do not know prices of used cameras or lenses. sorry to give the wrong impresion. i just use nikon cameras and lenses. if you are in the states there are a lot of camera shops and there are a few online such as B&Hcameravideo that deals with used equipment. in australia there are also a few...do a search....

if you buy a use lense check for dust inside the lens and also how damage is the lens bayonet...as pro users like to change lense a lot and that gets wornout. later you may have to replace it.

anyway i hope that helps, please tell us a bit more about yourself and why do u need that lens? where are you located?

regards

christian

christian, thanks again for the reply Iam currently living in Minnesota land of lakes and freezing temps..Moved back here after living in Maui for 3 years. Taking pictures is a hobby, and I spend the rest of my time teaching and playing golf. After taking a trip to Italy. Looking at the quality of my pictures with my canon A80 I knew it was time to change. The choice of lenses is still up to the camera I buy which is proving to be more and more difficult. Thanks again for all the replies.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post