Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Nikon planning new mirrorless interchangable lens cameras

Looks like the message of the MFT / EVIL cameras are finally starting to hit home - Nikon is apparently jumping on the bandwagon as well!

Quote:Makoto Kimura told Bloomberg Nikon will introduce a "new concept" mirrorless cameras with enhanced video functions as early as this year. (That sort of sounds like the Canon G11 competitor with DSLR tech Nikon was hinting at earlier this year, but we can't tell if they're the same.) Kimura says that Nikon is "intensively" focused on developing the new mirrorless product as part of a plan to increase SLR revenue -- Nikon's goal is to increase interchangeable lens camera sales a whopping 80 percent over the next three years.
I think it's a smart move - especially if the new cameras are able to use the existing stable of Nikon lenses, it would open up a whole new market with existing Nikon users. Interesting times indeed - let's see how this pans out.

Panasonic and Olympus are hitting their third generation, Sony's NEX system is going to be on the shelves Real Soon Now™ - I have actually handled one - and now Nikon might have a concept model ready to go... in six months.

Ah, well - they're quicker than Canon. Big Grin

It will be interesting to see how Nikon handles some of the mechanical elements of their lens interface, like aperture selection. Micro 4/3 uses completely electronic lensmounts.

Sony might be the test case to see how well Nikon would do. I'm already hearing the sales pitch "like the Panasonic, but with a much bigger sensor." If that meme holds on, and Nikon can put some marketing oomph into it, they might put some serious heat into the system. From what I've seen, the upgrade-from-compact target market simply hasn't materialized, because Canon, Nikon, and that guy from the barbeque last week are all talking about SLRs. ("Or SRLs, or something like that - you got any?")

Almost everyone that I've seen looking at the mirrorless cameras in the store is in the downgrader category - just look at all of us here, setting aside some very capable SLRs for smaller and lighter cameras. That's not the main market that Panasonic or Olympus were expecting, and Sony has essentially bet the success of its current two NEX models on the idea that the people who want their cameras will know nothing about cameras.

Of course, if the Nikon mirrorless is done by their Coolpix division, they're doomed.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post