Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Cokin filters question.

I have a B&W CPF that I have to rotate to get my sky bluer.....

I bought some cokin filters, the CPF and the GND with a regular holder to fit both filters. The thing is that I don't know whether I have to rotate the CPF to find my bluer sky or not. It is a bit difficult already to insert it in the holder and rotate it would be even more difficult. Unfortunately we have had so bad weather that I haven't been able to get out and test it.

My other question is with the GND where should I meter my light in the sky or in the ground?

They might be silly questions, but any help about these filters would be really appreciated... Smile

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Hi Irma

I'm thinking of investing in a grad filter and came across this site while doing research http://www.naturephotographers.net/dw0502-1.html Hope it helps....

Sharon Smile

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
Winston Churchill

Hi Sharon!!

So nice to see you around... Smile
Thanks so much for this link, it looks great!! It will help a lot, I am sure... Smile

I bought a B&W polarizer slim filter the one you screw in the lens and has a cap. It has done really nice work.

I bought another one for the cokin system as I have seen that the GND and CPF combination works great!!... Unfortunately, there is a problem here, with the cokin system you can use only 28mm focal length, otherwise you get a vignette... I didn't know that... Sad My lens goes 24mm so I always get some and very strong... Sad You can get with wide angle holder, that works for 20mm but you only can work with one filter.

Hey, btw, how was your cs2 curse? Did you like it? Did you learn many things?
I'd really love to see some of your latest work... Smile

Thanks again Sharon... Smile

Paul Cezanne

Hi Irma, go to http://photography-on-the.net/forum/show...p?t=224448 for some good advice Smile

Cheers,
Pat
Canon 400D plus assorted lenses

Hi Irma Smile
I use the slim holder, and it does not vignette even at 12mm (but mine is a 1.6x crop camera). but sometimes if I am not careful, the corners can show Sad
I have not used a circular polariser with it before, I think in the usual holders, the closest slot can fit a CPL which can be rotated.
When using GND, I usually meter the foreground without the filter, (then also meter the sky) so I have an idea about which strength GND to use - but most of the time it's just guessing for me.

Thanks so much for the link Pat.... I have checked and I see there is another brand I didn't know.... Very nice pictures too Smile

Thanks Adam,
I think I will end up buying the slim holder as well. They are not so expensive, and it would be fine to give a try in my lens too. I will see if we have better weather tomorrow to make a test and take my picture as you say... I'll post my result, if I get something nice... Smile

Thanks so much for your help .. Smile

Paul Cezanne

Hi Irma

I've finished the CS2 course, not having used PS before it was a big learning curve, but it has helped me to understand the basics - levels, sharpening, cloning etc... I'll upload some before & afters in another thread....

I've not been doing much photography lately, as my hours at work have increased & I'm going through a bit of self doubt in my ability....but I have to remember I've only had a camera for 12 months Smile

Hope you work out your filters...the Cokin.com website has lots of info as well..

All the best
Sharon Smile

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
Winston Churchill

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by derbyshirephoto
Oct 24, 2015, 06:23
Last Post by Phil J
Aug 29, 2015, 07:52