Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Nonsense

Anyone here have a Pentax *ISTD?

My wife has one, and it's one stormin' camera. Thing is, that a certain popular UK forum, (which you could be forgiven for believing was American), keeps hooting about "soft images"
Yes, the standard lens recommended in a package is very poor, but other than that, the camera is every bit as good as the 10D or D100.

So, anyone got one? Lurkers? Have any of you got one? Pop in and say hi, 'eh?

Wink

Cave canem

Ramboy and I saw one in the shop the yesterday... the salesperson was comparing it to the D70.

But the *IST D is about $500 more expensive than the D70...

Do you think it's a better camera Rufus? Haven't really looked into the *ISD D...

I suppose there's also the lens system to consider...

Well, I dont know if it's better than the D70, but I would think it is....

It's small and tough. Quality build and images, PLUS, you can buy very cheap old lenses for it. We have a stack of them, some as little as £20. True, they are manual, but the quality of them is often superior to modern lenses.
I know manufacturers are always claiming optical improvements, but sometimes I think the main improvements are in their profits!
I'll see if my wife will let me post some ISTD pictures shall I???

Cave canem

One pic, (which I "borrowed" from her), is now in the Pentax forum. Wink

Cave canem

Rufus Wrote:Anyone here have a Pentax *ISTD?

My wife has one, and it's one stormin' camera. Thing is, that a certain popular UK forum, (which you could be forgiven for believing was Am*rican), keeps hooting about "soft images"

Why did you leave out the "e" in "American?"

Canon 5D, Canon 17-40 F4L, Sigma 24-70 f2.8 Macro, Canon 50mm f1.4, Canon 70-200 f2.8L, Canon 400mm f5.6L, 580EX Flash.

Me?

No!

You must be mistak*n.

Big Grin

Cave canem

I have an *istD, but Rufus already knows that because it was his wife's pix that made me sit up and take notice. I never really got my head around film SLRs and was using a G3 prior to getting the istD .. but I love it. I'm gradually learning about using it and I've been pleased with several of my shots.

My husband has a collection of old Pentax lenses + third partty lenses with Pentax mounts. However, I preferred to buy my own lenses. It's NOT soft, the 24-90 is fantastic. I also have the 10mm 2.8 macro, which I use with a Vivitar ring flash and I use a Sigma 170 - 500 for Bird photography.

I'm small so I like the small, easy to handle camera - though I can appreciate why men with larger hands might find it awkward. I have to agree it's an expensive camera and Pentax lenses can also be expensive if you buy them new - but, as Rufus sayd, there's a huge range available secondhand for those experienced enough to know what they want.

My husband recently bought a D70 - which I've never used and I'm not especially interested in trying it as I'm concentrating on trying to learn from my istD'

I don't have, nor do i want "scene modes" on my camera. i want to learn how to do things properly .. so that's what I'm doing.

Sorry I'm not registered yet. I'll see to that later. I'll also see about uploading some pix later. My PC's dying, HD has "physical damage" and 3 bad clusters so I'm just trying to tack along until my new PC arrives and is up and running (in about 3 weeks from now)

BTW - I'm English, living in the SE living near the English Channel coast.

Polly

Hi Polly! Nice to meet you and welcome to Shuttertalk!

Feel free to browse around, look forward to seeing pics out of your awesome camera! Big Grin

shuttertalk Wrote:Hi Polly! Nice to meet you and welcome to Shuttertalk!

Feel free to browse around, look forward to seeing pics out of your awesome camera! Big Grin

Thanks.

I'm still here working out what to upload - I'm no expert so don't expect to be stunned by awesome images from my awesome camera! Big Grin

I see 150k is the file size limit. How about dimensions? I suppose nothing wider than 550k would be about right for the board - is that right?

Polly

Polly Wrote:I see 150k is the file size limit. How about dimensions? I suppose nothing wider than 550k would be about right for the board - is that right?

Yes, you're absolutely right. The limit is only on the file size, but larger dimensions tend to break the layout of the board....

640x480 and under seems to work well.

shuttertalk Wrote:
Polly Wrote:I see 150k is the file size limit. How about dimensions? I suppose nothing wider than 550k would be about right for the board - is that right?

Thanks, that's brilliant. I'm away off to dig out some images now.

Polly

Polly Wrote:
shuttertalk Wrote:

Thanks, that's brilliant. I'm away off to dig out some images now.

Polly

Here's an image off the Sigma 170-500 f/5 - 6.3 APO + *istD ... tripod + cable switch used for this one with the lens at full stretch.
[Image: moi.jpg]

Polly

... and a link to a temporary page I have online at the moment. This link shows a picture and explanation of an event that took place during the WW2 June 1944. There's a memorial and American Flag flying on the edge of the beach at the moment - placed there during the D-Day memorial events.

I took the picture with the istD and a Tamron 28-300mm lens and waited for the shadow of the setting sun to cross the base of the Flagpole and flowers.. it seemed the appropriate time to take the shot .... linked below
At the going down of the sun

Polly

Nice Squirrel! Looks like it's taking a bow... Big Grin

Nice page too... interesting yet solemn read.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by ADK_Jim
Mar 21, 2008, 13:57