Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Not actually digital, but...............

Saw this camera at a climbing comp yesterday. He was not using a flash inside, was using 400ASA B&W film 4x5 inch!!! If my memory serves I think it was a Sinar.

[Image: large-format-1.jpg]

[Image: large-format-2.jpg]

They can take amazing shots but I think I will be staying with my D-SLR. Big Grin

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm
not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein

Wow interesting gear! Is that a large format camera?

I saw one of those being used outside the belltower (aka alien spaceship) a few months ago as I was driving to uni.
That is when I first suspected some alien activity.

Yep, thats large format 4 x 5 inch, you can also get 8 x 10 inch (thats the film size), bit bigger than 35mm film. :o .

Albert Einstein

Interesting Pete Smile

I'd love to get my hands on a large format camera and all associated goodies for a week or so to play with.... especially for my up-coming trip to Kununurra (far north Western Australia) followed by a trip to Tasmania in the next couple of weeks! I'm really looking forward to it, and should be able to capture the Australian landscape at two very different extremes.
I've never been far north in Western Australia, and while I grew up in Tasmania this will be the first time I've had my DSLR there Smile

Has anyone here got any experience using Canon's TS-E lenses? I'm fascinated by these tilt/shift lenses for 35mm cameras - as they allow the same kind of movements that are normally only possible with a view camera to correct perspective distortion and change the angle of the focal plane for amazing control over DOF. But at AU$2400 each, I'm not in a big hurry to go out and buy one to experiment with.

Also, have any of you guys seen Peter Dombrovski's work?
He was a very well known large format Tasmanian landscape photographer (he died not that long ago)... and while his work was stunning, it has spawned hundreds of Dombrovski wannabe's... so unfortunately a lot of his images are becoming cliche and diluted by a million lesser attempts to capture the same shot in the same way. Also the fact that probably half the postcards that get sent from Tasmania feature one of his photos doesn't do anything to prevent them becoming cliche.
But I must admit that I grew up in awe of his shots, and he opened my eyes to landscape photography. There are a lot of beautiful scenes to shoot in Tassie (and a number of them get shot over and over by every tourist or hiker), but his are *always* instantly recognisable and have a unique and wonderful quality about them. I think there is also some of his influence in my own work in terms of a richness of contrast and colour I often try to pull out of a photo.

If you aren't familiar with Dombrovski, but want to see some similar work... check out Geoff Murray (http://www.geoffmurray.com).
Many of the scenes Murray photographs are beautiful, but IMHO he isn't in the same league as Dombrovski. I think Murray tends to take the easy touristy way options with his shots and the stuff he shoots deserves to be on postcards (and they are).. Dombrovski's stuff is wasted on postcards though - it should be hanging on gallery walls and appreciated properly, not glanced at then thrown away.

But anyone who is prepared to lug a large format camera on a 10-day hike through the Western Arthur Ranges in Tasmanian weather deserves some credit, coz their ain't no roads that go through there! The only other way in is by chopper.

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

Have not seen Dombrovski's work but have seen some from Olegas Truchanas from down in Tassie and they are amazing.

Albert Einstein

ahh yes Pete... Truchanas and Dombrovskis are often mentioned in the same sentence together, and Dombrovskis is often referred to as Truchanas' protege.
Truchanas was probably more of a pioneer, but I think Dombrovskis was more successful in bringing the beauty of Tasmanian wilderness "to the people". (plus Truchanas was a bit before my time).

Here's a few links about a documentary film made about both of them (the abc.net.au link has a gallery to some of their work - not their best stuff though IMHO).

http://www.abc.net.au/wildness/about.htm

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/0...click=true

And a very brief bio:
http://www.answers.com/topic/olegas-truchanas

Scott Millwood Wrote:"I call it the dichotomy of Tasmania. There is this sense of incredible beauty but it's underpinned by a really dark destructiveness. I think that's what it means to be Tasmanian. It's both these things still. I think that's what defines its culture."
hehe.. A very interesting quote. There is a ruthlessness to the Tasmanian landscape that is very seductive, yet can become brutal and unforgiving within minutes of a change in weather. I think this relationship of beauty and destruction really does permeate the people and become ingrained in the culture. After all, the European settlement in Tasmania was born from a brutal penal colony set amongst a spectacular landscape on the Tasman Peninsula, flanked by the highest sea-cliffs in the sothern hemisphere, deadly cold sea currents that come straight up from antarctica, and spectacular and unique volcanic formations and blowholes... But as a convict at Port Arthur, if the prison didn't kill you then the countryside surely would trying to make your escape.

I'd love to have a look at Millwood's film.. It looks like it goes a lot deeper than just a superficial look at the photographs of two great wilderness photographers.

Sorry... in case you hadn't noticed I'm a bit homesick Sad I can't wait to get back there for a break Smile

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

I loved Tasmania when I was there - the countryside is just so pristine. I was there during summer though, and boy was it cold. I'd hate to see what it's like in winter...! Big Grin

You should come here for winter camping, I take out my Scout Troop and we camp out in minus 9-10 degrees, you just have to have good equipment and many layers to keep you warm. Wink

Albert Einstein

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by MrB
Sep 28, 2014, 03:34