Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Oh dear. What do you think of this article??????

http://www.christiancourier.com/question...estion.htm

Cave canem

I think someone has too much time on his hands. There's a difference between being told specifically NOT to do something, and inferring you're not supposed to do something just because nobody says you should.

"I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair and all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them. So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."
-Marcus Cole

Sometimes you want to do some very un-Christian things to people, like smacking them over the head while shouting "What the HECK are you thinking??!!!"

I've always fancied smelly, wet fish for slapping people with.

No. Not a fetish of mine, (before Jamie says owt). Tongue

Cave canem

Hmmm... what a load of.... hmm... yes...

Well, the sensible, good-natured part of me will concede that sometimes we let music and instruments dominate our worship so much that we're at a loss for what to do when we have no instruments and music to worship with. I have experienced many times when a small intimate worship meeting with just voices has been really powerful and moving. Also, worship is not just singing praises at a service, but more than that, it is THE lifestyle that a Christian leads each day.

Now, my rant. What drugs is this guy on???? No authority to use musical instruments in worship???? What about Paslm 92:1-3???

"It is good to praise the Lord
and to make music to your name, O Most High,
to proclaim your love in the morning
and your faithfulness at night,
to the music of the ten-stringed lyre
and the melody of the harp."

If that's not a biblical mandate for guitarists, I don't know what is.... Rolleyes

God has placed me on earth to accomplish certain things.
Right now, I am so far behind that I will never die.

Good find, Axeman!

Yes.

But you'll find that he/she/it says that since we now arent under the Law, we must take our frame of reference from the NT. This contains no musical instruments.

:o

Cave canem

Maybe these?

1 Corinthians 14
6Now, brothers, if I come to you and speak in tongues, what good will I be to you, unless I bring you some revelation or knowledge or prophecy or word of instruction? 7Even in the case of lifeless things that make sounds, such as the flute or harp, how will anyone know what tune is being played unless there is a distinction in the notes? 8Again, if the trumpet does not sound a clear call, who will get ready for battle?

Revelation 15
2And I saw what looked like a sea of glass mixed with fire and, standing beside the sea, those who had been victorious over the beast and his image and over the number of his name. They held harps given them by God ...

You re quick. Big Grin

Cave canem

Yes, we are now under grace and not the law of the OT, but that doesn't negate the truths from the OT. Jesus' 2 commandments did not override/change the 10 commandments from the OT, but rather restated them into 2 general categories.

Nice work on the song by the way! Wink

Big Grin

Cave canem

Oops, just reading this thread (and article) now...

What the? The article is dated 2003, but come on, I didn't know things were that backward back then! :o

Also, just noting, that out of the 4 "historical" references he uses, 3 of them date from the 1800 - early 1900's, which could very well reflect their thinking at the time.

Speaking of 'historical references', (thanks for the segway ST!) I've been doing some research into a church that my ancestors attended in the mid to late 1800s. Their doctrine allowed only Psalms to be sung in Church - or anywhere else! The rationale was that only King David (ostensibly the author of the Psalms) was inspired directly by God. All song-writing since has been inspired only by men and is, therefore, unholy. What I don't understand is how they got around the fact that the melodies were, by their standards, 'unholy'.

<><
Camera: Panasonic Lumix FZ10
Image Management/Editing:ArcSoft PhotoBase4
Advanced Image Editing: Adobe PhotoShop 7

Hehehe - maybe they were terrible singers so they outlawed melodies to save their ears! Big Grin

Actually, I just re-read the chapter of the book and apparently there were no instruments allowed so the head of the congregation (not the minister) would set the tone with a tuning fork and they'd go from there... apparently it resembled more of a chant than a song!

<><

Hmmm... Gregorian?

Apparently the church was descended from a rather bitter sect of Covenentors who had been persecuted in England under Bloody Mary, etc. 'Course, I might be bitter too if I'd had my ears cut off!

<><

Pardon??? Big Grin

Cave canem

That's what the RC monarchs did to Protestant types who rejected the notion of a person (the monarch) being the head of the church - as opposed to JC.

<><

de_axeman Wrote:Now, my rant. What drugs is this guy on???? No authority to use musical instruments in worship???? What about Paslm 92:1-3???

"It is good to praise the Lord
and to make music to your name, O Most High,
to proclaim your love in the morning
and your faithfulness at night,
to the music of the ten-stringed lyre
and the melody of the harp."

If that's not a biblical mandate for guitarists, I don't know what is.... Rolleyes

Only if it's a ten-stringed guitar!

See, obviously, lyres and harps are biblical and acceptable in church, but pianos and pipe organs are out, since nothing in the Bible says to use them in worship. Amen?

"I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair and all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them. So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."
-Marcus Cole

Soundy said:

"See, obviously, lyres and harps are biblical and acceptable in church, but pianos and pipe organs are out, since nothing in the Bible says to use them in worship. Amen?"

Rufus said:

"Aaaaarrrrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhhhh!!!"

:o

Cave canem

lol.... and according to the new testament - women should remain silent in church, cover their heads when praying, and should never teach men. Tongue

Right on.

Women! Hah! Who needs 'em? Tongue

Cave canem

This could get ugly..... Wink

<><

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Irma
Jun 24, 2011, 23:00