Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Old for New.

I would like to ask the forumites how they feel about taking modern digital images and turning the into "old" pictures. I have included an example that I produced using Silver Efex Pro 2. In this case it helps by being a 1928 Austin Windsor.

Image taken using Fuji FinePix S9500, 1/340 sec, f3.7, ISO 200

Ask yourself, "What's most important for the final image?".

I love to see them done that way, I've been working on some Civil war images for a slide show that I have been making look like the old tin types.

I would love to see that, once it is complete.

I like the photo very much, Jocko, whether the wonderful car is depicted in colour or in mono. However, sorry, but I'm not keen on those sorts of edge effects - they don't add anything other than a distraction to the photos, in my view.

Cheers.
Philip

(Nov 19, 2015, 10:44)MrB Wrote:  they don't add anything other than a distraction to the photos, in my view.
I don't think I can be bothered with them either. Maybe if it was a print, instead of on a display. I was just experimenting with a new piece of software.

With Philip on this. John, have you any software that will blur the background, makes a big difference. Ed.

To each his own!

Here are two genuine photos from my collection. My grandmother is in the car.

The borders here are the original, fragile, prints.

This is the best I can do for the background, without spending an inordinate amount of time.

I, or rather Photoshop, did the B&W one, love the one of your Grannie. Ed.

Attached Files Image(s)

To each his own!

Well done. You are obviously more proficient in Photoshop than I am. That would have taken me hours to achieve.
John

Had another go before I put this one to rest.

Nice photo of a nice car. However, I think that if you are going to try to present an “old’ image you have to look closely at the background and remove/disguise anything that isn’t period related, such as the yellow lines. the refuse collection lorry opposite doesn’t help but you had disguised it in the later version and removed it in the v grainy final cut. Dean

(Nov 21, 2015, 11:01)Dean Wrote:  I think that if you are going to try to present an “old’ image you have to look closely at the background and remove/disguise anything that isn’t period related, such as the yellow lines. the refuse collection lorry opposite doesn’t help

Agree with you entirely. There was no intention of presenting an old image. I was experimenting with new software and thought I would ask the question. I take "record" photographs, hence the reason I took the colour photograph in the first place. I know when they are making films and TV dramas they go to a lot of bother to hide all those things. Me, I just like to capture what I see. One of my biggest problems is I never look to see what is behind my subject. I have ruined hundreds of great images that way, especially in the days when I shot film!

Had a go at doing a proper "old" photo. Removed the yellow lines, indicators and the modern background items. Think it turned out quite well. What do you think?

I did consider downloading it, and removing all the creases, scratches and other marks etc!!!!! Ed.

To each his own!

Now that would be an exercise!

This cleans up the background

Nice Jimbo. I have a couple of hundred old photos like that I need to clean up. Wish it was as successful going in that direction!

(Dec 7, 2015, 07:14)jimbo70 Wrote:  This cleans up the background

That print needed much more intensive washing, look at all those 'developer/fixer stains'. Did no-one use 'stop bath' in those days? Smile

Regards.

Phil.