Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

How often do you check the date and time?

Just a quick poll - how often do you check the date and time set on your camera? Do you check it everytime you charge your battery? Every once in a while? Never? Don't care what it's set to?

I just noticed today that it was behind by almost 8 hours - and I'm not sure how long it's been set like that. It's probably me being picky but I hate seeing a daytime pic show a timestamp in the AM hours (or vice versa)... Big Grin

I notice when mine is off on the exif time stamps. Never check on camera though.

EnglishBob Wrote:I notice when mine is off on the exif time stamps. Never check on camera though.
Same here. I usually forget to change back and forth for daylight saving too.

Polly

I use my camera as a watch when shooting, so pretty much check it as much as you would a watch/clock....

I never think to check the time and date, until I've shot with two cameras and they don't synchronize properly. Fortunately Lightroom makes that fairly easy to fix...

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

Any issues with the time become fairly evident between 5 cameras (three photographers) at a wedding shoot. So I guess - every time I download photos from a wedding.

Canon stuff.

I forgot to change mine on the last far east trip, and then I was trying to figure out what the actual time was. Do you knock 8 hours off or add 8 hours or is it 5.???? Rolleyes

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

If you travel east you add, if you travel west you deduct....

Whenever I notice that it's wrong due to the USA's silly "Daylight Savings Time" nonsense.

Some of our states like Arizona don't play along, which makes it even harder to remember what time it is for my friends when I want to make a late night call.
And it always changes at 2am on a Sunday, so twice a year when I'm at work the time gets weird--either it suddenly becomes very late or the band is expected to play for an extra hour without extra compensation.

I usually notice any camera clock errors when shooting near sunset and then noticing that the sun should have set an hour earlier or later than the time on the exif data.

A cellphone is my main timepiece and it updates automatically so I have trouble remembering to check the camera's clock.
The Alpha300 is well within 1 minute of being correct right now so it doesn't drift very much, if at all.

In the future when GPS tagging modules become a built-in feature we will be free of worry about clocks in our cameras. They'll be communicating with satellites, and using the location data it'll be easy for them to access a database of time zones and special exceptions.

Eventually we won't be able to adjust the clock at all, and some people will complain.

It's not just the USA with Daylight Savings time, the United Kingdom does it as well... apart from now the US does it 8 weeks earlier than they used to.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post