Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Orpheum Theater

One more from Memphis. I tried to get a " old look " .

[Image: Sepia%20copy.jpg]

..... Thanks Shawn

Canon 20d and a few cheap lenses ..

It is our job as photographers to show people what they saw but didnt realize they saw it ......

I really like this one, Drake - very well done.

If I can respectfully suggest a slight straightening of the verticals and a tiny haircut on the bottom...

[Image: 40_test.jpg]

Hmmm... frustrating how I can upload your photo but not my own... Everybody's a critic these days.

I like how you cropped it , but how did you streighten it up. As you can tell i am not used to shooting without my tripod so i had a few that were a little " tilted "

... Shawn

It is our job as photographers to show people what they saw but didnt realize they saw it ......

In Photoshop, there is a "Rotate Canvas" command under the "Image" memu. I selected the "Rotate Arbitrary" setting and set it to 1.5 degrees counter clockwise. Then I cropped.

Thanks Toad ,

I forgot to say thanks for the comments , and now thanks for the help on the tilt . I wasnt sure what that arbitrary was . I learn everyday LOL ..

........ Shawn

Great shot and processing Shawn. Well done.Smile

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

Toad Wrote:In Photoshop, there is a "Rotate Canvas" command under the "Image" memu. I selected the "Rotate Arbitrary" setting and set it to 1.5 degrees counter clockwise. Then I cropped.
Don't you use the 'measure tool' to ascertain the exact tilt adjustment needed?

The way I do it is :-

1) Select the measure tool (which is in the same group as the eye dropper (screenshot attached)

2) using the measure tool - draw along a definite horizontal or vertical

3) go to Image/Rotate/Arbitrary .... and you'll find the precise figure has already been entered for you, courtesy of the measure tool which has calculated it from the line you drew.

It's a neat, quick and easy way to straighten a horizon too.

I'm attaching a screenshot of one of my own images as I forgot to save a copy of Shawn's for the screenshot. Super shot though Shawn, well suited to sepia and the post processing .. and I also love the 'Memphis' series. All very fascinating for me as I remember the Luther King shooting and Elvis, of course (wot with me being so ancient). Big Grin

[Image: straighten.jpg]

Pol

Good advice - I haven't been using that but I will give it a try..

Toad Wrote:Good advice - I haven't been using that but I will give it a try..
TBH - I thought it was a tip I'd picked up on ADI from either you, slej or Jamie. Maybe it's one I picked up elsewhere then?

It's a good tool though - takes all the guesswork out of straightening. Big Grin

Pol

Thanks Peto and Polly ,

Im glad yall like this one . I dont know if you can read the Marque , but it says " Gone With The Wind " . They are having a play there soon and i thought it was appropiate .

.............. Shawn

Wonderful picture Shawn... you really capture in that picture an old mood...

I like your composition and your conversion... I like the dreamy effect you applied, but I think sometimes that dreamy effect doesn't make your picture look old...

I would like to encourage you to try a warmer sepia treatment, without dreamy effect. A bit more contrast and sharp it a bit if needed... I am almost sure you will find a surprise Smile

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Great pic BD, I like your choice of pp on this works well

Thanks Irma and Russt ,

Irma i will try what you are saying , I still am just playing with all that i know and i need to explore more . So i promise i will try it on the next shot. Thanks for the advice .

Nice PP Shawn and thanks for the tip Polly - that is really very useful.

Canon stuff.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post