Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Other hobbies

So, beside photography, what other hobbies do people have? Smile

I love playing guitar and music...

Guitar, computer, food Wink

I love mountain biking and playing hockey. However, my shoulder has a problem that may require surgury. I haven't been able to do anything all summer. Sad

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

My cool, manly hobby is hockey, which I play 2-3 times a week. My geeky, uncool hobby is genealogy which involves hours of online/library/archive research time.

<><
Camera: Panasonic Lumix FZ10
Image Management/Editing:ArcSoft PhotoBase4
Advanced Image Editing: Adobe PhotoShop 7

I write poems

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

Motorbikes, other dogs, bass guitar, drums, music in general, amateur radio, (though not recently).

Though it isnt a hobby, church activity in one way or another, typically takes me 15 hours per week too.

Cave canem

I've just recently gotten back into playing with my pocketpc as well... Smile

*** geek alert ***

Church activities, music (guitar, drums, bass, recording) and playing with my 2 pugz...

God has placed me on earth to accomplish certain things.
Right now, I am so far behind that I will never die.

I don't have any hobbies Sad

Guitar, needlework, baking, reading forums, and sleeping. Smile

Oh, and taking care of my 5 kids. That takes up most of my time and leaves little for the rest.

Lion Dancing, Computers, Techie gear, Games, Indoor Soccer, Movies, Going out to lunch/dinner/coffee, Anime, Cars =P

Hmm seems like Lak and I have a bit in common (other than liking photography). My hobbies/interests are:
Computers (Hardware and *nix mostly)
Coffee
Anime
Gadgets
Keeping to my self
Haggling guys at the pc fair and consumer elctroncs stores like Harvey Norman etc
Lanning

Gear:
3 x GoPro Cameras
1 x Canon S100
1 x Nikon D5100
1 x Sony DSC-TX10
Apple MacBook Pro 15" (Retina Display)

"What do you want to pack today?"

Lion Dancing :/

LION DANCING??????????

Have you ever been bitten? :o

Cave canem

dewy Wrote:Hmm seems like Lak and I have a bit in common (other than liking photography). My hobbies/interests are:
Coffee
Anime
Gadgets
Keeping to my self
Haggling guys at the pc fair and consumer elctroncs stores like Harvey Norman etc
Lanning

What is "Lanning" :/

Cave canem

StudioJ Wrote:I don't have any hobbies Sad

Dont believe you. :|

Do you mean that you do have hobbies but darent mention them?
Do you collect dolls or something??
Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Cave canem

Rufus Wrote:
StudioJ Wrote:I don't have any hobbies Sad

Dont believe you. :|

Do you mean that you do have hobbies but darent mention them?
Do you collect dolls or something??
Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Jamie collects dolls, na na na na na na! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

http://www.shuttertalk.com/forums/images.../dolly.jpg

Don knows................

Cave canem

Rufus Wrote:
dewy Wrote:Hmm seems like Lak and I have a bit in common (other than liking photography). My hobbies/interests are:
Coffee
Anime
Gadgets
Keeping to my self
Lanning

What is "Lanning" :/
Lanning (aka Attending lan Parties) is where you go to a venue (Usually a large hall (I got a a schools MPC)) and take your computer and you network them all and play games over night (there is one at the jail that goes for a solid week) and of couse tehre is aways some file sharing (for evailuation of couse).

Gear:
3 x GoPro Cameras
1 x Canon S100
1 x Nikon D5100
1 x Sony DSC-TX10
Apple MacBook Pro 15" (Retina Display)

"What do you want to pack today?"

Ah, that's lanning eh?

Thanks.

Cave canem

Lak Wrote:Lion Dancing, Computers, Techie gear, Games, Indoor Soccer, Movies, Going out to lunch/dinner/coffee, Anime, Cars =P

Lak man, tell us more about Lion dancing please. Does it have religious conotation? How do you balance that, if it does?

Cave canem

Ok I'll admit it, one of my hobbies is procrastination... the rest I'll have to think about Wink

Rufus Wrote:Lak man, tell us more about Lion dancing please. Does it have religious conotation? How do you balance that, if it does?

This is not to speak for Lak, but lions and dragons are admired symbols of prosperity and good fortune, and particularly during the Chinese New Year period, teams of 'lion dancers' will go around visiting businesses (usually Chinese restaurants and the like) to perform a dance. The businesses bless (pay) the lions who visit in return for the supposed blessing of prosperity for the year to come.

The actual 'lion' outfit consists of a large hollow headpiece, roughly 1 metre in diameter, which is attached to a long flowing cloth train, to represent the body. Usually one guy controls the headpiece, while a second guy controls the tail and together they dance around in this costume and sometimes perform some acrobatics in it. The lion is also accompanied by a band of percussionists - one guy banging a very large bass drum on wheels, and several others with clanging cymbals and gongs.

Firecrackers are also a common feature, as is the colour red. The object is to make as loud a noise as possible to scare away evil spirits. Oh and there's also this mime who accompanies the lion(s), but I'm not sure what his significance is...

The link below has some pictures I googled...

http://www.hostultra.com/~beijingbagua/l...ncing.html

God has placed me on earth to accomplish certain things.
Right now, I am so far behind that I will never die.

Webpages, Computers and Anime for me ^__^

de_axeman Wrote:
Rufus Wrote:Lak man, tell us more about Lion dancing please. Does it have religious conotation? How do you balance that, if it does?

This is not to speak for Lak, but lions and dragons are admired symbols of prosperity and good fortune, and particularly during the Chinese New Year period, teams of 'lion dancers' will go around visiting businesses (usually Chinese restaurants and the like) to perform a dance. The businesses bless (pay) the lions who visit in return for the supposed blessing of prosperity for the year to come.

The actual 'lion' outfit consists of a large hollow headpiece, roughly 1 metre in diameter, which is attached to a long flowing cloth train, to represent the body. Usually one guy controls the headpiece, while a second guy controls the tail and together they dance around in this costume and sometimes perform some acrobatics in it. The lion is also accompanied by a band of percussionists - one guy banging a very large bass drum on wheels, and several others with clanging cymbals and gongs.

Firecrackers are also a common feature, as is the colour red. The object is to make as loud a noise as possible to scare away evil spirits. Oh and there's also this mime who accompanies the lion(s), but I'm not sure what his significance is...

The link below has some pictures I googled...

http://www.hostultra.com/~beijingbagua/l...ncing.html

Axeman pretty much covered it! It doesn't really have much religious conotation, but more linked to South East Asian Culture, but it originated in China, which emmulated a version the French dance that was performed roughly 2000 years ago infront of the Chinese Emporer.

The mime, also called the laughing buddha. Thats about as religious as it gets. The laughing buddha is there to taunt and play with the lion. Usually the lion will bite, kick, chase or play with the laughing buddha. I guess the real reason why the laughing buddha is there, is because it is very hard to see in the lion head, the laughing buddha guides the lion around, while fending off the crowd at the same time.

Sorry for the REALLY late reply. =p

I play Xbox alot. I like to rock climb. Have an indoor place near me, but it has been some time since I have been. I like to play basketball andmountain bike. I don't know if I classify church stuff as a hobbie.

bob... i mean teddy

Nikon d70
Nikkor 18-70mm 1:3.5-4.5g ED
Nikkor 70-210 1:4-5.6 d

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Pat
May 23, 2007, 22:17