Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

PMA Hot Top 10

Photographyblog has a really interesting roundup of the top 10 items at the PMA which they thought were notable.
http://www.photographyblog.com/index.php...ot_top_10/

I'd really like to see some discussion about some of the items on the list... what did you find interesting from PMA this year?

Some obvious choices would be the new 4/3 SLR from Panasonic, and the 10 megapixel Pentax...

I was quite surprised to see Samsung compacts listed at #9. Samsung have never really been strong in their digital camera offerings, but it's good to see that another player is stepping up to the mark. Not to mention their recent partnership with Pentax to produce their rebadged DSLRs - it seems they're really getting serious!

I really think that the current climate in the industry is really unforgiving to those who don't take the business seriously. You only have to look at Konica MInolta - a very traditional camera maker - pack its bags and retreat from the playing field. I think the honeymoon period is defintely over - when any electronics company could just play me too, or tout megapixels and jargon in hope of luring unsuspecting customers. Consumers are getting more savvy and well researched, and are demanding more in terms of quality and performance.

All the better for us, I suppose... Big Grin

Hmmmm....I found this year's PMA wholly uninspiring I'm afraid.....Just a big lot of nothing!

As to Pentax and the 10Mp Slr.....well, it's not promised even for Photokina, just "hoping to launch". In all probability the sensor will be the same one used in the Nikon D200, so already a little "old hat" by then.

More worryingly, I see the Top Ten list you linked to expects it to be at entry level, but from what I can gather, Pentax are aiming it at high-end amateurs as a D replacement and will price it accordingly.

I think once again they'll be late to the party, under-dressed and over-priced, sadly.

I DO still hope Pentax succeed in the higher end of the market, but having said that, I've no regrets about moving to Canon, and from a monetary point of view I seem to have sold my Pentax gear at exactly the right time, as I got more than I'd ever hoped for for every item, and sold it all without having to relist a single item.

--NN

For me it was pretty uninspiring too. But I like the Canon printers and the Panasonic leap into the DSLR pond. I have been waiting for Canon to update their A3+ printers for my wedding work.

Anyone want to buy a Canon i9950 A3+ printer in very good working order Smile

Canon stuff.