Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Panning

One of the things I'm pondering on doing this year is some motorsport photography. I love motorsport - especially bikes - so it feels like it could be a good fit. Alas, I've never ever tried panning. So I figured with any races still months away this would be a good time to start some practice.

It's not easy. The shot below was the only one of about 50 that was anywhere close. And only then because (a) he was riding slowly and (b) I upped the shutter speed to 100. But at least there's some motion blur so I know I'm on the right track. Just need lots more practice.

But the other thing was I didn't feel comfortable standing by the roadside taking shots of strangers, albeit in cars and vans. I get the same thing when I go out with the intent of doing street work. It just feels intrusive and wrong. This morning one bloke even circled around and drove up behind me to ask what I was doing. Not in a nasty way - but it did reinforce that feeling of me doing something intrusive. Maybe I shall just have to practice at races themselves.

[Image: 31887016993_04f573f54d_z.jpg]

Panning 1

My son rides a motorcycle. I got him to ride as a model on an isolated country road so that I could practise.

[Image: 3455-6-Web.jpg~original]
[Image: 3453-4-Web.jpg~original]

GrahamS
Take my advice.  I'm not using it.Wink

Spookily enough I raised the same idea with another photographer friend. We both ride bikes and he's had the same reaction to practicing panning as I have. So I've suggested with combine a day out on the bikes with photographing each other :-)

Sounds like a good plan to me..

GrahamS

That is a tricky technique, and that is a decent one.

I tried this back in the Film days at Donnington Park, nothing much came out LOL. There's a stockcar track a few miles from here, think I will see if they allow "pro" gear in the audience. I know a few places won't allow cameras with detachable lenses around here. Stupid.

It certainly gives one a new found admiration for many of the top class action shots one sees on line, that's for sure.

Used to cover Motor Bike/Car Racing. Found 1/00th, (no 1/125 in the 50's) was the way to go. Ed.

To each his own!

[attachment=6842]
delb0y, I too am interested in panning, and motorcycles. That's my ride in the picture, and lucky for me I live 4km from Mosport Race Track in Canada. I have friends that race and I can get some good opportunities. I am new at the panning that's for sure. For race day my gear is an A77 with 80-200 f2.8, quite a bit of gear to lug around. Still a better day there than at the office!

Lovely bike, Randy. I was lusting after a BMR R Nine T at the weekend :-) I currently ride a ZRX1200r (see below, taken by a reservoir in the Brecon Beacons, South Wales).

I shall see how the sports photography goes this year. If it flies then I'll have to consider the gear. At the moment I have a D7100 which has a notoriously small buffer. The longest lens I have is a 70-300, but it's not particularly fast f/4.5 at best, but as I go up the zoom lens it narrows.. But the combination should do for a start :-)

I'd love a D500 or a Fuji X-T2 with a fast telephoto zoom, but both are way out of my league.

Cheers
Derek

I live a few miles from Knockhill where they have track days and you can give your road bike a good trash. Here are a couple of my photographs. As you can see from the second, there are other ways to show motion than panning. Quite the opposite in fact.

Ask yourself, "What's most important for the final image?".

(Feb 4, 2017, 05:53)GrahamS Wrote:  My son rides a motorcycle.  I got him to ride as a model on an isolated country road so that I could practise.

(Feb 4, 2017, 05:53)GrahamS Wrote:  My son rides a motorcycle.  I got him to ride as a model on an isolated country road so that I could practise.

Wow, great job for a first try!

(Feb 7, 2017, 13:25)dianebaughn Wrote:  Wow, great job for a first try!
Thanks Diane

GrahamS

Not knowing where you live makes it challenging to suggest local locations but inside th hairpin at Brands Hatch is a great place ... the fences are low and you catch bikes or cars as they accelerate ... so they're not too fast 

I've had some succcesful (and not so good) in there 

Other option is the back straight at Snetterton ... but they're reallly pushing on there so there's a lot more 'not so good'
Attached hopefully is one of the better ones

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by mic
Apr 20, 2005, 05:31