Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pasha Bulker

Here are a few pics of the coal ship Pasha Bulker that ran aground on Nobbys Beach Newcastle 8/06/2007

[Image: pasha2.jpg]

[Image: pasha1.jpg]

[Image: pasha6.jpg]

[Image: pasha5.jpg]

[Image: pasha7.jpg]

C&C welcome as always
I hope to add some more as they are processed

cheers

Great photos Russ! am going in to have a look when the weather is better.
PS Glad all is well, cant believe we were having coffee at Market Town and a couple of hours later it was flooded, we sure were lucky Smile

Cheers,
Pat
Canon 400D plus assorted lenses

Love them all Russt !!

........ Shawn

Canon 20d and a few cheap lenses ..

It is our job as photographers to show people what they saw but didnt realize they saw it ......

Thanks for the comments Pat and BD

Pat good luck getting there........... traffic and people Rolleyes Big Grin

I was lucky to get those shots when I did as they are keeping people off the beach and breakwall now.

#1 and #2 are just beautiful.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

Absolutely stunning, Russt!! It must be a thrill to have a dramatic subject like this to use your creativity on...

Great shots Russt, and a rare opportunity.
The first one in particular is my favourite. The long exposure (I assume) has flattened the water and makes the ship appear even more 'beached'.

Canon 50D.
Redbubble

Wow - so dramatic. I love number 3 - the lights blazing from the ship add to the appeal of the photograph for me.

Well done.

Canon stuff.

thanks all for your comments much appreciated

Toad......getting some pics was the first thing I thought of when I heard Rolleyes you tend to feel a llittle gulity :| Smile

Shane the shot you like was exposed for 20 secs........I really like the saturation you get from long exposures

I went a bit trigger happy so here are a couple more.......
Quote:a rare opportunity
Big Grin

[Image: pasha4.jpg]

#7 I like the people in this gives a bit of sacle to the ship. it was nice of the people to stay relatively still for the 8 sec exposure
[Image: pasha3.jpg]

cheers

Beautiful shots Russ! went to Newcastle today, what a mistake! couldn't find a park anywhere, jammed with cars and people. Went on to Stockton - the ship towered over Nobby's but at least we could see it!

Cheers,
Pat
Canon 400D plus assorted lenses

More great pictures - the dramatic sky is fantastic.

Canon stuff.

Wow!! Better and better!! Thew first one in the new set is astounding...

No need to feel guilty unless you were at the helm of the ship when it crashed.

I don't approve of taking photos of weeping mothers that have just lost a child (and that sort of psuedo-journalism) - but a dramatic newsworthy scene like this with no loss of life - all I can say is "great shots"...

I think I can honestly say that this is my favorite series of shots that I have seen on Shuttertalk in quite a while,,,

Stunning series Russ.
Wonderful pictures all.... Smile

I see different weather in some of your pictures.
#3, 4, 5 looks as if you had strong wind, the other look as if the sea were calm.

I would love to hear what problems, if any, you encountered when taking the series. As some of them were long exposures, how did you set your tripod in the sand? about the wind? Would you share your experience of the shooting?

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Thanks for comment Rob, from you it means a lot………not sure I would agree……..but much appreciated!

Irma, the shoot went well and I am happy with what I got. I did have a plan in mind before I went. I really like long exposure photography so that was on my list. The surreal effect that is gives the water I really like. I also then wanted to show the nature of the conditions and capture the waves and spray to add the drama with faster exposures. The water conditions were about the same for most of the shots. The shots with the lights on the ship were taken on day two.
As for problems focus, was one. To get the length of exposure I wanted I had to shoot before sun up. I used manual and set to infinite when I was not able to get a focus point. Wind was also a worry, but fortunately it was blowing slight offshore so spray was not an issue. I only have a cheap tripod that is not too sturdy so I tried to shield it from the wind during the exposure. I can see camera movement along with focus problems in some shots but still in all not to bad. I did set the tripod in the sand just pushed it in a little …….during one shot the surf went through the legs :o
I do have lots of others shots that I am putting together in a folder (when I can) they include closer shots of the ship behind the scenes of film crews and people just standing in awe etc.
It was also funny watch the flash go off on all the point and shoot cameras…….it got to be the most photographed ship going at the moment. Everyone in Newcastle must have a ship screensaver on there pc or phone!!!

Thanks again all

Woow, what nice shots of such an ugly occurance!! I didn't actually go down to see that on the beach (too busy dealling with our flooded house Sad & finding a place to live to find the time) I got to see it from the window at work though, & even the big boss came over & annoyed us by looking at it & talking about it for about 10-15 minutes one day.

Stunning light and colors!!

what time of the day did you take the first two? Looks like the sun was low, morning?

I like the subtle colors of #4, the "over"-exposure and the different tones of water, sky, ship and tungston lights on board. superb!

Uli

Great shots Smile

Alastair says "Visit My Blog?"

Great shots!

Sony A700/ 16-80mm / 70-300mm / 11-18 mm / 100mm macro

My Flickr page

What utterly fabulous photos! I'd always heard of "carrying coals to Newcastle" as a sort of metaphor for pointless endeavour -- never knew that there were actual perils involved.

aunatrl,

welcome to shuttertalk!

Uli