Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pentax K100D and K110D Digital SLR

It's all over the newswires now, but Pentax has announced the K100D and K110D DSLRs, both entry level cameras featuring 6.1 megapixel sensors, 2.5inch LCD, 2.8 fps and ISO 200 to 3200. The distinguishing feature between the two is that the K100D features shake reduction, also known as image stabilisation, vibration reduction, anti-shake in other circles. The interesting thing is that the only other DSLRs to feature image stabilisation built into the body were from Konica Minolta, which has now packed up and gone.

I think Pentax has got quite a following, so this should be a very attractive to exisitng *ist D/DS/DS2/DL users. Kudos to them too for the new naming convention, much easier to pronounce IMHO... Big Grin

http://www.pentaxslr.com/bodies/k100

(Rant Alert)
I have a very soft spot for Pentax indeed, yet they do madden me immensely with their inability to miss the boat...or maybe just forced off it by the slash-n-burn of yer Canons.
I must say, ooo: a whopping 6.1 with scarce a mention of sensor size....and, oooo: image stabilisation at ISO 200? Still, groundbreaking stuff there guys with the innovative shock and awe of Museum mode and Pet mode for those gurus who never manage to get their museum-taxidermed pets caught on digi in exactly the right way.
Wait...I can use my 67 lenses with it! With restrictions...maybe that of not being able to use them then? Nice flash capabilities though: I must buy a short-lived pet, stuff it and pop it in a museum quick, I really wanna fire this baby off.
And that Candlelight mode: actually, stuffed pet caught in a romantic dinner-for-two moment...I'm getting glimmers of a niche here.
I've only one more thing to say: d'you want fries with that?
(...nurse!...)

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

Zig, I don't know what you're saying, but you're freaking me out.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

I was also a bit dismayed at the 6.1 sensor announcement. I know that resolution isn't as important as marketers would lead you to believe - but 6.1 in a new camera that is aimed at taking back market share seems calculated to fail..

I'm very happy with my 6.1mp Rebel..... but then I bought it nearly 3 years ago... would I buy a new SLR with 6.1mp, I seriously doubt it.

Sorry matt! I've woken up now.
This is an APS size sensor, is it, btw?

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

Zig. Big Grin
/Paul l.

Strives to make photos instead of taking them...

EnglishBob Wrote:I'm very happy with my 6.1mp Rebel..... but then I bought it nearly 3 years ago... would I buy a new SLR with 6.1mp, I seriously doubt it.
Oh yes - nothing wrong with 6.1 - I am only commenting on how it seems underwhealming as an attempt to gain back market share. Megapixels is one of those stats that everybody knows and less wouldn't seem like more in this case...

Lol, I didn't see anything about a new sensor, so I'm guessing it's just the same sensor from the *ist series, probably mostly the same body etc. - just with the shake reduction as a new feature. I guess it's more an evolutionary step rather than a revolutionary one.

To me 6.1 isn't so bad... the NEF filesizes are big enough as is...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post