Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pet Peeves

What annoys you most about your digital camera? :x

For me, it's the auto-lens retraction mechanism in the Fujifilm S5000. Even though I've turned powersave mode off, whenever I switch to Play mode to view photos that I've just taken, 10 seconds later, the camera automatically retracts the lens. I have to turn it off and back to record mode to extend the lens again. How annoying! I wish the camera would just stay put and let me decide when to pack up and go. I've noticed this behaviour on the Ricoh Caplio RX as well.

Quote:whenever I switch to Play mode to view photos that I've just taken, 10 seconds later, the camera automatically retracts the lens.

Yeah my sony does the same thing Sad
However when you flick the camera back to 'capture' mode it automatically extends the lens again so its not so bad.

Since light travels faster than sound,
people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Most annoying thing about my 300D, would probably be dust on sensor or the time you have to wait after you turn it on before you can take pictures (yes, it's less than 5 seconds, I'm not impatient, but sometimes need it to be on RIGHT NOW!!!!! heheh)

Thinking about how else I'm annoyed with it, maybe it would be nice to know exactly how much battery I've got left, not just full, almost empty, empty Smile

adam Wrote:Thinking about how else I'm annoyed with it, maybe it would be nice to know exactly how much battery I've got left, not just full, almost empty, empty Smile

I think most cameras have the same problem, especially those using NIMH batteries. My Fuji S5000 displays the red battery icon, and then dies about 10 seconds later.

It doesn't happen now with our digital cameras, but with the old cameras with lenscaps, anyone ever took a whole bunch of photos only to find out later you forgot to take the lenscap off? :x

God has placed me on earth to accomplish certain things.
Right now, I am so far behind that I will never die.

What annoy me most... auto white balance when I'm using one of the preset modes in D70, and yes I sometimes do the lenscap thing...

Yup, lens cap, been there, done that. Even do it now, with my Fuji S5000 Smile Not so bad with digital because you've got the live viewfinder, but still pretty embarassing when you stand in front of a group of people and wonder why your display is so dark... Smile

Battery usage still annys me a little, with what shutertalk said, I don't mind it retracting but when it does retract what annoys me is that is freezes the display, so i can't browse the images 'till it is fully back in. One other thing is that it seems to 'crash' a LOT, prolly too much if you ask me, by this I mean, when turning off the camera the 'power led' stays on and i can't restert it or anytihng and i have to open the bettery compartment and close it again to fix it, is this common with this camera range shutter talk? Or sohu;ld I get it looked at?

Gear:
3 x GoPro Cameras
1 x Canon S100
1 x Nikon D5100
1 x Sony DSC-TX10
Apple MacBook Pro 15" (Retina Display)

"What do you want to pack today?"

oh really? I haven't had my S5000 crash oh me yet, except when I stupidly went rollerblading with it and fell over and heard three sickening thumps as my camera bounced off the bitumen. But after turning it off and on again, everything was back to normal. Big Grin

Or maybe my S5000 doesn't freeze up because of the accident? Haha, I don't recommended that you test My theory though....

i find that the missing feature of external flash compensation annoying on the 300D ...
wack an external flash on ..and unless your in manual mode or your subject is distant.. you got one big overexposed photo...

Another feature that isnt as anoying..but would be nice is the Variable RAW file sizes.
RAW files are great for editing levels on ... but sometimes u want the power of a raw .. but with smaller dimensions to save space... not such a big deal .. but yeah ^^

Hey peter,

Regarding the external flash compensation - I must admit I didn't try that out when I hired the one I used. Would it be a function on the flash, not the camera?

Also, with the RAW format, my understanding is that RAW is raw data from the sensor - if they were to manipulate it then it wouldn't be raw anymore... Smile

peter Wrote:i find that the missing feature of external flash compensation annoying on the 300D ...
wack an external flash on ..and unless your in manual mode or your subject is distant.. you got one big overexposed photo...

Another feature that isnt as anoying..but would be nice is the Variable RAW file sizes.
RAW files are great for editing levels on ... but sometimes u want the power of a raw .. but with smaller dimensions to save space... not such a big deal .. but yeah ^^

That's why the firmware hack is there for you (to void your warranty) Wink see: 300D tips and tricks

or FECset