Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Photo Share - Railways

(Apr 8, 2016, 04:04)delb0y Wrote:  I have very few photographs of trains. But here's one, taken on a borrowed Nikon D5100 with an 18-55 kit lens at the 55mm end, 1/500th second at f/9.

I'm not up on modern rolling stock but that looks like two Engines of the freight type are they dragging a train behind or are they in a yard parked ?.

We Photographers deal in things which are continually Vanishing and when they have vanished, there is no contrivance on earth which can make them come back again. We cannot develope and print a memory.
                 Henri Cartier Bresson
Doug

(Apr 8, 2016, 06:56)Dougson Wrote:  I'm not up on modern rolling stock but that looks like two Engines of the freight type are they dragging a train behind or are they in a yard parked ?.

Parked up on a siding just across from Didcot mainline station. The angle was nice because there's a path under the mainline, you then come up some steps into Didcot Railway Museum, so you can get a nice upwards looking mainline shot.

Turn around 360 degrees, pays your money, and you get:

Talking of railways, there's a great series available on BBC iPlayer right now - search for Locomotion by Dan Snow

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01q16wj...des/player

well worth the investment in time.

Cheers
D

(Apr 8, 2016, 07:32)delb0y Wrote:  
(Apr 8, 2016, 06:56)Dougson Wrote:  I'm not up on modern rolling stock but that looks like two Engines of the freight type are they dragging a train behind or are they in a yard parked ?.

Parked up on a siding just across from Didcot mainline station. The angle was nice because there's a path under the mainline, you then come up some steps into Didcot Railway Museum, so you can get a nice upwards looking mainline shot.

Turn around 360 degrees, pays your money, and you get:

Nice I haven't been to Didcot for years a friend of mine worked on one of the Engines there. I took a brilliant shot of a Pannier Tank on a Mamiya RB67 years ago but I seem to have lost the slide.

We Photographers deal in things which are continually Vanishing and when they have vanished, there is no contrivance on earth which can make them come back again. We cannot develope and print a memory.
                 Henri Cartier Bresson
Doug

Oliver Cromwell passes steeple Morden on the Cambridge branch
Panasonic FZ30, f4, 1/800, ISO100. 23/05/2009

Henri Cartier Bresson
Doug

Great photos here. this thread is really making me regret leaving all my photos behind when i moved to the US. I had a few thousand train images from the late 70's to the early 90's.

(Apr 8, 2016, 06:56)Dougson Wrote:  I'm not up on modern rolling stock but that looks like two Engines of the freight type
The lead loco is a DB Schenker Type 66 with what looks like a Type 67 bringing up the rear.

Oliver Cromwell looks immense. It is a pity the overhead conductors are there.

Ask yourself, "What's most important for the final image?".

No conductors. Ed.

Attached Files Image(s)

To each his own!

More good compositions of steamers - thank you delb0y and Ed.

Delb0y the strong shadows outside the engine shed appear to indicate a bright sunny day, as in Ed's photo, and so the photo looks to me as though it needs some brightening, e.g. -

Cheers.
Philip

Cheers Philip. My natural instinct is to take "smaller" photos. I need to work at getting the bigger dramatic pictures of trains and the landscapes they inhabit (feels like a good idea for a project this year). These are a few more from the same day at Didcot that fit that smaller vision.

Lovely images, Derek. Monochrome suits the style of these photos.

Here is my take of removing the car from Boat of Garten. Not a lot of background to work with.

Reminds me of the old lady who took an old family photo to the retoucher. The family was standing either side of a pillar box (post box). She asked him to remove the offending item. After an hour's work, he had made a lovely job. A few days later she came back to pick up his handy work. "Oh, that's no good", she said. "Why not?", he asked. "Well our wee dog was behind it and he is not there now".............

Ha! Ha!Ha! That reminds me, once when we Rolled into Kings Cross and I'd screwed the Engine down and my mate was shutting her down the cab door was open and a Passenger stuck his head through the door and asked if the big black wheel on the back wall of the cab of a class 47 which I was now turning was the steering wheel, I just said do you not know how a train works ? I wish my steering was that good. Lol

Henri Cartier Bresson
Doug

Good Clone John, considering the working area. Cheers. Ed.

To each his own!

(Apr 9, 2016, 04:09)Jocko Wrote:  Lovely images, Derek. Monochrome suits the style of these photos.

Here is my take of removing the car from Boat of Garten. Not a lot of background to work with.

Reminds me of the old lady who took an old family photo to the retoucher. The family was standing either side of a pillar box (post box). She asked him to remove the offending item. After an hour's work, he had made a lovely job. A few days later she came back to pick up his handy work. "Oh, that's no good", she said. "Why not?", he asked. "Well our wee dog was behind it and he is not there now".............

The other interesting thing in this photo is what looks like a ramp for off loading cars which were attached to sleeper trains. I remember seeing those in the mid 70's at kings cross .

Henri Cartier Bresson
Doug

Following on from my Boat of Garten photos, here is a close up of the little tank loco. Looking rather sad. Often the Strathspey Railway has locos and rolling stock stored for private individuals. I wonder if this is one such.

Nikon D80, 1/80 sec, f4.5, ISO 100, 27mm lens equivalent.

The Class 31 was actually the last of that class ever built, shown in British Rail green. Here is the first ever Class 31. Looking pristine, at the National Rail Museum, York, earlier the same year.

Nikon D80, 1/80 sec, f4, ISO 1000, 39mm lens equivalent.

(Apr 10, 2016, 06:44)Jocko Wrote:  Following on from my Boat of Garten photos, here is a close up of the little tank loco. Looking rather sad. Often the Strathspey Railway has locos and rolling stock stored for private individuals. I wonder if this is one such.

Nikon D80, 1/80 sec, f4.5, ISO 100, 27mm lens equivalent.

The Class 31 was actually the last of that class ever built, shown in British Rail green. Here is the first ever Class 31. Looking pristine, at the National Rail Museum, York, earlier the same year.

Nikon D80, 1/80 sec, f4, ISO 1000, 39mm lens equivalent.

Good little work horses, very cold in the cab until those companionway doors were welded up. Wish I kept a Deltic piston there used to be loads lying around Finsbury Park Bone Yard.

Henri Cartier Bresson
Doug

Gromont shed 04/10/2008 Finepix2800 f2.8 1/64 6mm
Tonemapped in Photomatix

Henri Cartier Bresson
Doug

Another photo of the Pocket Rocket about to reverse on to its train at Grosmont, North Yorkshire Moors Railway. 2015

Henri Cartier Bresson
Doug

A couple of brilliant images. The second one has just so much "Railway" in it, what with the signals, carriages, buildings etc.

Here are a couple of images, in a somewhat similar vane, taken at Boat of Garten station, on the Strathspey Railway.

The first shows the Station Master, striding down his platform.

Nikon D80, Auto mode, 1/200 sec, f8, ISO 100, 42mm lens equivalent.

The second shows a Caley 0-6-0, hauling a train off to Broomhill (or Glenbogle, for fans of "Monarch of the Glen").

Nikon D80, Auto mode, 1/160 sec, f5.6, ISO 100, 157mm lens equivalent.

Will have to get North "o" the border soon that looks very interesting.

Henri Cartier Bresson
Doug

Hi all

I guess we have all taken pictures from an aeroplane. But did you ever take pictures from a fast moving train? I experimented on Monday 20th on the Great Western Railway Hereford to Paddington arriving at 12.28pm. I was surprised to find I had over thirty images I actually liked, though not all worthy of an outing here. But let me at least share examples...and see whether you signal advance or blow the whistle...

Regards all

Jeff

Attached Files Image(s)

I like the view when travelling by train, because you see so much of the grubby side of the cities and towns you pass through. Taking photos is great, as long as you have a clean window to shoot through!

Lots more good photos posted on this page, thank you all, and that's a good idea Jeff, with some interesting results. I've only ever taken pictures from a moving train on heritage lines, when they tend to be travelling relatively slowly.

Cheers.
Philip

Hi Jeff
Err! What happened to the last photo of the EMU's it has a body that's been decapitated, and some sort of time warp going on as the train in front seems to be a doppelgänger of the one behind, could this be the Einstein effect of mass warping space time ! Just a thought Doug

Henri Cartier Bresson
Doug