Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Police Sieze Photographer's Equipment in Public Bus Tunnel

According to Komo News, a King County Sheriff's deputy siezed a photographer's flash cards as he was photographing inside a public bus tunnel.

"The vast, open space, the unique design and the lights and movement of the metro bus tunnel in Pioneer Square attracted his eye."

"The deputy explained that the tunnel is a potential terror target and that photographers must have permission to be there."

"When Williams offered to delete his digital photos, the deputy said he was confiscating the flash cards - to search them for security breaches."

"There are no signs there saying photos aren't allowed."

Hm... what do you think? Overzealous cop? Necessary security measure? I'd hate to see every public structure become off-limits to photographers...

Taking his flash cards! Isn't that stealing?
But at the same time, must be glad that someone is stopping people taking photographs to aid in their terror plans (but I don't think they really do this, I mean, if I were to plan an attack, I wouldn't go and get caught taking photographs, then my plans are ruined!)

In the words of my favourite American... Hogswash!

Thats pretty much the way things are getting over here. The States isn't taking any chances near the borders. In a couple years time us Canadians will need passports to cross the line. Even U.S. citizens will need them to get back after visiting Canada.

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

Yeah... the Golden Gate Bridge is one of the most photographed manmade structures... and for a time they were trying to stop epople taking those! That has stopped now thank goodness.

As for passports and borders.... try getting into the UK, even if you are from there, without showing you passport. And Europe is supposed to have open borders to each others citizens.

yeah whats new

the other day i read some blokes got arrested in melbourne because he was taking pixs with his camera phone of the beach.

uuhmmm makes you think

The police have no right to take my camera memory, right?

We learned in primary school that the most they can do is ask for our name and address.

But you never know, maybe after they have your home address, they'll visit you

Actually in the UK and the US under the preventiion of Terrorism and the Home security acts... they can pretty much do as they please when they believe they are "preventing" terrorism.

This was also in the story:

Quote:King County Sheriff's Spokesman Sgt. John Urquhart told KOMO 4 News, "We're going to do some additional training with our deputies who work the bus tunnel, let them know that yes, it is okay to photograph inside the tunnel. I think he just went overboard a little bit. He shouldn't have done that. It isn't against the law."

Only after his gear was confiscated, did Williams find out he hadn't broken the law.

Even in post-9/11 US, that would probably be considered illegal search and seizure by the police officer and grounds for a civil rights lawsuit. Smile

This is an important issue of freedom of comunication and civil rights. We had a discussion about similar cases a few years ago. Governments love it when people fear for their security. That fear provides the impetus to move the country toward totalitarianism. Dictatorship is the most efficient form of government. In emergencies governments may want to sacrifice rights to gain more efficient management. The thin edge of the wedge is the declaration of innocent artists and photographers as suspect. If you want to be allowed to take pictures in the USA, you must protest and keep informed about search and seizure of this kind.

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

Rest in Peace fourth amedment
We will remember you dearly.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post