Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Photo book and life

I am leaving China in a week, except for some three t-shirts to wear my apartment is basically empty, things have been given away to people, sent to Germany or packed, I have to give my students exams and make their grades and I am always travelling. In the middle of this I have finally finally got down to making my new photo book!
I have been putting this off muuuuch to long.

Alltogether, this will be my 6th book on China.
I put together my first photo book on general life in this country after two months in China, the second one within five months of being in China, the third one after nine months. During my winter stay in Germany (how can it be it seems like that was just last week?!?!) I put together two volumes on special topics, one on my chicken series, and one on the village school and the construction site I visited in October last year.

So basically it has been a year that I haven't been using and organising my every day pictures.
Now I have spend two solid days on it, and it gives me tremendous satisfaction.

Digging through some 10,000 shots, though tiring, brings to light some gems that would have been lost in the abyss of my HD. Doing this is also good for my Mac and LR and me, we are bonding Smile

This time I will try blurb, as recommended by Kombi (thank you!),
for the printing and maybe you can all see it when it is done. From Kombi as well as others who have tried I heard the printing is ok if not fantastic, and the software is a bit bulky and not customisable, but their prices are very attractive, so at least I can try.

I am very happy with my progress these couple of days.

On another note, by going through last year's work I realise how my style changes.
In retrospect I am almost thinking these 20 some months in isolation have done my photography no
harm, to say the least.
Although I am always upset that there is no cultural life, no art events and no one to discuss with here,
there might be some benefit after all to not being constantly exposed to other's work (as in New York),
so you are forced-free to develop your own style instead of (subconciously even) trying to imitate someone else's.

You notice, I am not someone who looks at photo art on the internet. you might say I don't need to be in
New York to be up to date, but I am usually overwhelmed by the flood of stuff on the net. Also, I hate looking at pictures on the screen for a long time, when I want to really see a picture, I need the haptics too. So I am happy enough for a galerist to make a pre-selection for me of what to look at Smile

Greetings from China!

Uli

I look forward to seeing your new books Uli.... Smile

I do like very much to see pictures in internet. I have a folder in my fav just for galeries, where I store many sites of photographers and virtual art galleries. To me it is a way of learning. To see a picture taken in the studio and figure how he/she place the lights, what kind of lights used and so on helps a lot to develop my pictures. G thinks somewhat different, posibly more like the way you do.

I wish you a great trip back to Germany...

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Congratulations on the book, that's quite a lot of work so I can imagine how pleased you must be to have it done.

And you're leaving China for good? I can't imagine you not being there. I'm really looking forward to seeing what you find in your new home, as well as seeing your upcoming retrospectives.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

Wow, I can't believe it's been a year already! How time flies... I hope your stay in China has been a memorable one - I've really enjoyed the photos from China you've shared with us Uli...

Would you say that you've grown as a photographer through this experience?

Thanks for the link to blurb, by the way - it looks great! I've got to put a photo book together myself... Smile

Leaving China must be bittersweet for you Uli. I hope the move goes smoothly.

That's great to hear about your progress with the books. I hope you're pleased with the result.
I'm due to put together another one soon I think. Maybe Jules can start up Shuttertalk Publishing? Tongue

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

thanks all guys.

yes, leaving is bitter bitter sweet sweet.... I am just back from a nearby town where I have friends and where I have visit a primary school in the country site a few times to teach some English.
When it came to saying goodbye to the little students today I could for a moment not hold back my tears, and then several of the students started to cry so that it was very very sad Sad

uli

It's amazingyou can't get a better deal on publication. A book of first hand photos of China shoukld be publishable by a house who will not charge you, even if they don't pay you much either. I would suggest researching book publishers. You priobably have a marketable product.

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

thank you Don, I kind of have the same gut feeling, but I guess I haven't done enough research...
Any tips?

Uli

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Don Schaeffer
Nov 25, 2020, 17:33
Last Post by Barbara G.
Jul 14, 2020, 09:55