Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Photo critique

Hello all!
I'm new to this business,so be patient?
I'm trying to get a picture, that I took about 40yrs ago in my local pub, commented on,but I don't know how ! I'm going to assume I just click under  the 'Attachments' bar and hope for the best. The pic was taken,I think, on a Fuji ST901 with, I think, an f1.4 EBC fujinon lens ,but exp.f stop app,etc. not a clue - just wanted an opinion on subject,composition,etc...say anything!!!please.
Cheers Confused

I like that GP. It's a good capture of a character (or two) and a moment in time. I assume it's some kind of pub garden game, and because its unusual (certainly round these parts in this day and age) it's got that interest / historic feel to it. You've nailed the main chap's character beautifully, too, his expression, cigarette, clothes and body language. The difference in the younger man's appearance and hair sets off the older guy really well, and shows how the generations were different then.

Compositionally, it all works. Good sense of depth. The characters stand out well against the dark background and the thrown ring is in a good position in the frame. There's a nice sense of movement to it all.

I like the graininess of the picture, I think that adds to the power and fits the style. The only negatives are that the whites are a bit blown out - I don't usually mind blown out skies in a photo like this because it's not about the sky and, in fact, the plain sky means we focus on the people more, but the two shirts, the one the second man is wearing and the one on the rail are both so bright they tend to distract my eye. Similarly the thrower's trousers are a bit solid het black on my screen. I'm not sure how you could have addressed both of these issues - maybe cameras and post processing these days would give you more dynamic range than you had forty years ago. But actually these are minor things - overall it's cracking photo.

Derek

Derek just pipped me.Did this last night. echo his comments.  Welcome.  Ed.

To each his own!

(Jul 19, 2017, 23:41)delb0y Wrote:  I like that GP. It's a good capture of a character (or two) and a moment in time. I assume it's some kind of pub garden game, and because its unusual (certainly round these parts in this day and age) it's got that interest / historic feel to it. You've nailed the main chap's character beautifully, too, his expression, cigarette, clothes and body language. The difference in the younger man's appearance and hair sets off the older guy really well, and shows how the generations were different then.

Compositionally, it all works. Good sense of depth. The characters stand out well against the dark background and the thrown ring is in a good position in the frame. There's a nice sense of movement to it all.

I like the graininess of the picture, I think that adds to the power and fits the style. The only negatives are that the whites are a bit blown out - I don't usually mind blown out skies in a photo like this because it's not about the sky and, in fact, the plain sky means we focus on the people more, but the two shirts, the one the second man is wearing and the one on the rail are both so bright they tend to distract my eye. Similarly the thrower's trousers are a bit solid het black on my screen. I'm not sure how you could have addressed both of these issues - maybe cameras and post processing these days would give you more dynamic range than you had forty years ago. But actually these are minor things - overall it's  cracking photo.

Derek

Thanks for that...encouragement! really helps! I don't know the facts of the game,it's called 'quoits',played over a clay pitch,by tossing metal rings at a fixed steel pin? Yes,at the local pub. Photoshop would / could? have helped in the 60's, but the pic is straight! Couldn't afford to waste a single shot on a 36shot roll and of course the negative has been long lost!
Anyway,thank you both for the crit: I shall now throw myself into 'digital' photography knowing that this site is here and so is Adobe.
Cheers
David

Derek

Thanks for that...encouragement! really helps! I don't know the facts of the game,it's called 'quoits',played over a clay pitch,by tossing metal rings at a fixed steel pin? Yes,at the local pub. Photoshop would / could? have helped in the 60's, but the pic is straight! Couldn't afford to waste a single shot on a 36shot roll and of course the negative has been long lost!
Anyway,thank you both for the crit: I shall now throw myself into 'digital' photography knowing that this site is here and so is Adobe.
Cheers
David

Love what you got here, nicely composed with a great story, wasn't sure I wanted to see all the sky but the quoit is vital to the image in my opinion. I even like the "grit" from the 40 year old image!

I picked up a camera for the first time about 40 years ago, though I had to wait 4 years or so to get my own. Sadly I no longer have anything I shot prior to 1998, I moved to the US in 2001 and there just wasn't room to ship everything.

I look forward to your next images David.

(Jul 21, 2017, 00:50)EnglishBob Wrote:  Love what you got here, nicely composed with a great story, wasn't sure I wanted to see all the sky but the quoit is vital to the image in my opinion.  I even like the "grit" from the 40 year old image!

I picked up a camera for the first time about 40 years ago, though I had to wait 4 years or so to get my own.  Sadly I no longer have anything I shot prior to 1998, I moved to the US in 2001 and there just wasn't room to ship everything.

I look forward to your next images David.

Thanks English Bob.
No man should be without a camera,after all they are contsantly photographing you,so why shouldn't we have the same opportunities?
I've just(6months ago!)joined a camera club, hoping to pick up some data & tips connected to digital photography! If I'd have had the camera I have now,some 50 years ago,plus Photoshop,I might have taken a decent picture!
Regards
David

I love Camera Clubs, have been in mine for 13 years, have been the president and held a bunch of other positions. Currently the Digital Chair and organize our bi-monthly digital competitions. I am also a member of a local Camera Club Council, which is 9 clubs from Central California that come together once per month for competitions, and I am also the Digital chair there (I must like work!) I have learned so much from the other members.

And I've had to leave mine as I'm just not getting home from work in time to attend. I'm missing it a lot and pretty much have hung up my camera in the meantime. I'm hoping the club will still exist in x amount of years time when I retire!

You haven't got time delb0y-time & tide waits for no man;I'm 2 months off 76 and getting worried that I'm still learning so,so, much!!
What have you got to lose???
Cheers

Nothing to lose, Dave. Just a busy period in my life. It won't last forever, life or the busy period. Let's hope the former lasts longer than the latter!

Let's see one of your pics delb0y;take 30 mins & post a memory!
My new camera allows for sharper images,but as yet, hasn't moulded itself to the shape of my hands. I think I'm having to rush to get the shot,not recommended,because of so many different options and choices. But,things can only get better!
Cheers

(Jul 22, 2017, 02:03)delb0y Wrote:  And I've had to leave mine as I'm just not getting home from work in time to attend. I'm missing it a lot and pretty much have hung up my camera in the meantime. I'm hoping the club will still exist in x amount of years time when I retire!

Until 2013-2016 I only made 5 meetings of the local Club Derek, it's on a Tuesday and that was my long day at work. The lucky thing was the Council of Clubs meets Sundays so I was able to attend those.

(Jul 22, 2017, 09:50)Grandpappy Wrote:  Let's see one of your pics delb0y;take 30 mins & post a memory!
Cheers

Loads of my photos on this site, Dave. Have a click through the critique and showcase sections and you'll see some wonderful work from loads of the guys here... and some not so wonderful work by me!

But here's a recent one of me and one of the chaps from the Club when we went out for a few hours and a couple of beers. Whilst he was busy trying to find some foreground interest for his shot I simply used him as my foreground interest!

That's the River Severn and in the distance the Forest of Dean.

Got to 'sign-off' for the weekend! Cheers all.

It's a great idea, I really like the character with the cigarette in this photo, it's so original!
https://fixthephoto.com/online-photoshop-editor.html

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by snaphappy
Apr 11, 2017, 08:11