Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Photo guidance for night time F1 grand prix

Hi all I have an unexpected invitation to the Singapore F1 grand prix, which takes place under lights at night. Can anyone advise how to take photographs of this event or point to any helpful online resources? The challenge is a bit daunting but I am obviously keen to give it my best. My time there will also open up wider opportunities for capturing the sights and also exotic bird watching around the islands. If you have been there and done that I would be delighted to hear which areas proved most photographically fruitful. Many thanks in anticipation. Jeff

Play by ear, try, Auto Prog, then Night Photography,ISO 800/1600, on Shutter Priority, start at 1/250, and increase as necessary. Find the combination that works for you. Suspect S'pore has changed a bit since I was there, 1953/4/5!! Ed.

To each his own!

Hi Ed Thanks for the tips, especially the prompt to experiment which I did. In the end I found using manual settings at +5 exposure compensation gave me a chance in the floodlights. I began with high shutter speeds only to find the shots looked frozen, which is fine but then I began reducing the speeds (and panning energetically because of the speed of the cars) which eventually began to give sharp shots with wheel spin and background movement. I have no idea really how a professional would approach this but I was pleased with what I achieved - amazed really - and I had a huge amount of fun taking and now processing what is to me a surprisingly high number of workable shots. I'm not sure you would recognise Singapore now! There are miles of high rise high density apartment blocks though with green areas and ribbon parks running through the city. Regards, Jeff

I've tryed to shoot a gran prix once banck in the Uk. I think the biggest problem is focusing! those cars are really fast. I used manual focus and focus on the corner where I knew a car would pass and then shoot, but even using this technique I had a lot of problems finding some sharp images. Nice experience though

Great Jeff, when it works, stick to it.
Highest building was 7th Storey Hotel, so called because it had 7 Levels. Need to wear a jacket, and tie, to get in, few owned one, scheme was to borrow from a friend when he left, fitting was not important, it was a jacket. Speciality was a Plank Steak, served on a plank, no plate big enough. Then, off to Raffles for a Gin Sling. Spent enough, so a taxi home, 14 miles, after midnight, negotiated price, 3/4 of us, 8 dollars, about £1. Happy days. Al.

To each his own!

(Oct 14, 2014, 03:05)EdMak Wrote:  Great Jeff, when it works, stick to it.
Highest building was 7th Storey Hotel, so called because it had 7 Levels. Need to wear a jacket, and tie, to get in, few owned one, scheme was to borrow from a friend when he left, fitting was not important, it was a jacket. Speciality was a Plank Steak, served on a plank, no plate big enough. Then, off to Raffles for a Gin Sling. Spent enough, so a taxi home, 14 miles, after midnight, negotiated price, 3/4 of us, 8 dollars, about £1. Happy days. Al.

Hey Ed, sounds amazing! But it's not like that now! These days it's the MRT light rail to take you everywhere - that costs about £1.50 per journey depending how far - and you can get a perfectly fine dinner (if you like that sort of thing) from countless hawker and shopping mall outlets, and for not much more than £3 or even less. People there seem to never cook and the outrageous range of food outlets are teeming night and day. Maybe I will post a couple of my general impressions of modern day Singapore...believe me the hanging gardens and the bay and the botanical gardens are breathtaking...but you can't escape the smog, from Sumatra slash and burn, they say, but.... All the best, Jeff

Hi Daniel

I'm not claiming to be expert at all, but if as you say your F1 photography was a while back, it's possible that one of the key things is that recent issue cameras can be much faster focusing. I found my camera not nearly fast enough focusing (for birds, despite being a brand new model) and acquired one which claimed to be much faster. Of course, you may have used manual focus for a different reason. I used AF throughout. I used 9 points focusing mostly as that makes focusing faster too. I would focus and pan, taking a series of 3 or 4 shots, then refocus while continuing the pan and taking another burst. As you rightly say, the speed is horrendous and I was fortunate to be in a seat where I could pan freely (though one or two shots did include part of the person next to me!) My guess is that a faster focusing camera would make a big difference if you have chance to have another go at Grand Prix photography. Regards Jeff

Hi Daniel

I plan to post one or two F! shots when they are processed but here's one of my attempts taken in the way I described below.. Regards

Jeff

Attached Files Image(s)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Barbara G.
Aug 3, 2020, 06:59