Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Photo processing help

Hi everyone

I am in need of help with this old photo. I am doing a family tree and have an old photo of my grandfather in uniform. We are trying to decipher the buttons and markings on the collar to find out more about his military life. He was a lancer in the WW1 and this is the only photo we have. Please can I ask for your expertise in photo processing to clarify what these marking are, feel free to play with this photo. Also if anyone has information regarding the uniform, any help is much appreciated.

Hopefully, Jane

Jane, the file size is 551Kb, little room for maneuver. If the scanned original file is larger, upload it and post a Link. Worth a try but I am not hopeful. (Negative) Al.

To each his own!

(Mar 26, 2017, 02:43)EdMak Wrote:  Jane, the file size is 551Kb, little room for maneuver. If the scanned original file is larger, upload it and post a Link. Worth a try but I am not hopeful. (Negative) Al.

Thank you for your reply, but I do not know how to send a link. If you could talk me through it I have the original which a slightly bigger, but not a great deal. Many thanks

Jane

Jane, I would assume that Ed wants to see a higher resolution scan from the original photo. Can you try scanning it at 600 dots per inch? If so, then crop out the small area in which you are interested - that should then make a file small enough to post here for Ed to enhance if possible.

Cheers.
Philip

Different tack Jane, take your pick of these sites, see what you can do,and perhaps find. Click on the Link underneath. Ed.

https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=...ld+war+one&*

To each his own!

(Mar 26, 2017, 05:00)snaphappy Wrote:  
(Mar 26, 2017, 02:43)EdMak Wrote:  Jane, the file size is 551Kb, little room for maneuver. If the scanned original file is larger, upload it and post a Link. Worth a try but I am not hopeful.  (Negative) Al.

Thank you for your reply, but I do not know how to send a link. If you could talk me through it I have the original which a slightly bigger, but not a great deal. Many thanks

Jane
You can upload this image in a free image hosting site like tinypic and from there you can get a link. Hope by the time now your problem has been already solved.

(Apr 5, 2017, 04:36)shumicse Wrote:  
(Mar 26, 2017, 05:00)snaphappy Wrote:  
(Mar 26, 2017, 02:43)EdMak Wrote:  Jane, the file size is 551Kb, little room for maneuver. If the scanned original file is larger, upload it and post a Link. Worth a try but I am not hopeful.  (Negative) Al.

Jane
You can upload this image in a free image hosting site like tinypic and from there you can get a link. Hope by the time now your problem has been already solved.

Thanks, will try it out. Does this work?
[Image: 2ugcfns.jpg]

Hi Jane, sorry to say, I see no way getting info via pic, (FBI Software might}.
Have you tried a good quality Magnifier, or Loup, to look at pic.
Still of the opinion the one of the Links above,would guide you, especially if you sent a copy of photo. Regards. Ed.

To each his own!

(Apr 6, 2017, 05:58)EdMak Wrote:  Hi Jane, sorry to say, I see no way getting info via pic, (FBI Software might}.
Have you tried a good quality Magnifier, or Loup, to look at pic.
Still of the opinion the one of the Links above,would guide you, especially if you sent a copy of photo. Regards. Ed.

Thanks Ed, I have already tried some of those sights, with no luck. I will keep trying.
Jane

Worth a look Jane. Cheers. Ed.

https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=...cords+free

https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=...ld+war+one

To each his own!

Hello
In case you're still trying to decipher the details i would suggest importing best quality picture you cand get in Photoshop and try to invert it into a negative because the buttons are mostly white any black details might appear if inverted, increasing the contrast while doing this also might help!
Best of luck!

(Apr 11, 2017, 07:54)RobertMurariu Wrote:  Hello
In case you're still trying to decipher the details i would suggest importing best quality picture you cand get in Photoshop and try to invert it into a negative because the buttons are mostly white any black details might appear if inverted, increasing the contrast while doing this also might help!
Best of luck!

Thank you for your reply Robert. Having no luck at all with the uniform identification. Not very good with photo processing, but will definitely give this a try.

Jane

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by maisie
Aug 19, 2017, 03:37